under stairs storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.. im soon to start building some storage for under my stairs, and have a couple of questions I was wondering if anyone could help me with.

1. best material and best place to get it, it is going to be pine but I don't want to use cladding, I was thinking pine stripwood or furniture boards (18mm).

2. best fixing, obviously I don't want to see any fixings on the face, so I was thinking lost head panel pins or screws and plugging the screw heads,

I don't have much experience doing this sort of thing and would appreciate advice... thanks

Sponsored Links
Pine strip wood would certainly start to show gaps and warping once it gets used to room temperature and humidity, which is why tongue and groove stuff has its uses.
You can get sanded solid pine boards from the DIY sheds - they aren't cheap and the available sizes may be an issue.
Is painted MDF or similar out of the question?
John :)

If your door is triangular shaped at the top ,the door wont shut until you've angled of the top 6" -8" on the inside, just be aware of it.!

thanks for your suggestions, didn't want to use mdf as I wanted a natural wood finish but I think cladding looks a bit cheap. no door is normal shape just a bit smaller than standard

Sponsored Links
made up pine sheet could shrink if they are stored in an environment with a higher moisture content than your house, store them in your house for a while before doing the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back