Underfloor heating, temperature sensor probe resistance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm glad i found this web site. Some of the information on other posts has been really helpful thanks.

I'm installing underfloor heating wires on warmup insulation boards. tiling with 30 x 60 porcelain tiles directly on top.

The instructions for the thermostat advise to cut a channel in the insulation boards to insert the temperature sensor probe. i am advised to check the resistance, and it should be between 8 and 12 ohms, at 20 - 30 degrees. The room is fairly cold, I would guess about 15 degrees. Trouble is the resistance is comming out at 15 ohms.

Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Probably okay.

There are different types of thermister, some gain resitance and some lose it with temperature increase and I'm not sure what warmups do. I'd advise asking warmup themselves to be certain- there'll be a technical helpline on warmups website (or phone the normal line and ask for tech)

Thanks Ben.

I was hoping it was to do with the room being colder than on the instructions. I'm just about to tile, and warmup are closed. So hopefully it is ok.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to read section 753 in BS7671:2008 (p224) regarding installation of electric floor systems.
There's quite a bit of information, including plans, which need to be fixed by the consumer unit which supplies the heating system.

Are you sure it's not the heating cable you should be measuring? The manufacturers usually ask for this to be measured in order to compare pre- and post-installation measurements in case of damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back