Unidentified narrow silver pipe in space between floors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just pulled down an existing ceiling in order to replace it, and came accross an unusual pipe which I can't identify.
The pipe in question is of a narrow gauge (about 10mm diameter) and made of a dull silver metal - possibly aluminium? The pipe emerges from the top of the plaster on the front wall of the house, and is clipped along a joist until it appears to dissapear into the chimney breast, where it passes through the ceiling void.
The house was built around 1904, has anyone got any idea what it may be for? The only idea I came up with was that it might be the supply line for a wall mounted gas lamp, but this was just a complete guess!

Sponsored Links
photos please

Are the clips plastic or metal?

the gas pipes for lighting that I have seen were all big iron pipes with screwed joints and elbows, about an inch external diameter.

However if it goes to a chimney breast it might have been for a modern gas fire. Follow it back and see where it goes.

photos please

Are the clips plastic or metal?

the gas pipes for lighting that I have seen were all big iron pipes with screwed joints and elbows, about an inch external diameter.

However if it goes to a chimney breast it might have been for a modern gas fire. Follow it back and see where it goes.

I'll do my best to upload a photo when I get home :)

The house was built around 1904, has anyone got any idea what it may be for? The only idea I came up with was that it might be the supply line for a wall mounted gas lamp, but this was just a complete guess!
That was my first thought. I had a 1905 house and there were dead gas pipes down in the cellar and under the floor boards everywhere. But, as JohnD says, they were iron pipes. Is the end of the pipe open or sealed?

Sponsored Links
That was my first thought. I had a 1905 house and there were dead gas pipes down in the cellar and under the floor boards everywhere. But, as JohnD says, they were iron pipes. Is the end of the pipe open or sealed?

I can't find an end to the pipe, it actually enters the room from behind the upstairs skirting board, then runs along a joist, before dissapearing into the top of the chimney breast above ceiling height. I already have some 60's pipework for the gas fires that replaced the original coal fires - this is nothing like it. The pipe is fixed with metal clips, - photo's below.

I've seen lead pipe in floor voids that was used for gas lighting.Needs to be checked to see if its live.Just seen your pics and thats lead.Get it checked.If its dead then no problem to leave it in situ.It looks like one of my jobs!!!! ;)

Gas fitters lead alloy :idea: taft jointed with a bit of soft solder and heat from a spirit lamp - bloody lightweights they were then , and still are :rolleyes: :LOL: ;)

could be "block tin" ( i think it was called) although i dont remember its exact name i do remember the tradesmens eyes lighting up when we found some, and my job then was to rip it all out, whatever we were supposed to be there for this took priority, then we were off to the scrappy

I've seen lead pipe in floor voids that was used for gas lighting.Needs to be checked to see if its live.Just seen your pics and thats lead.Get it checked.If its dead then no problem to leave it in situ.It looks like one of my jobs!!!! ;)

Well, until you said it, I'd never have believed it was a lead pipe - it looks far too shiny, but I've just scraped it waith a Stanley knife blade and it certainly is lead. I'll wait a couple of weeks untill I take up the floorboards in the front room, then check if it connects to the live gas supply anywhere under there!

could be "block tin" ( i think it was called) although i dont remember its exact name i do remember the tradesmens eyes lighting up when we found some, and my job then was to rip it all out, whatever we were supposed to be there for this took priority, then we were off to the scrappy

It looks like aluminium at first glance - certainly hasn't oxidised much in the years it's been in there, but if you scrape it with a Stanley knife blade it is extremely soft, like lead.

We used to call it Compo as it was a lead composition.It is not aluminium.The soft bends and soldered joints are the clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back