United Utilities want to replace our meter - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they going to fit a new one which turns faster or is the simple explanation that they want to wire their consumers to a central monitoring system?

Sponsored Links
TIme for someone to post the pic of the crystal ball.

What did "they" say was the reason?

They do need periodic replacing you know, after about 20 years or so :D

They don't do it lightly, whatever the reason. The usual reason is old age. Can you post a piccy of your meter?

Sponsored Links
Are they going to fit a new one which turns faster or is the simple explanation that they want to wire their consumers to a central monitoring system?

Definately both. And what a central monitoring system it is! Knows precisely what you're doing in your home through the various current sensors and remote-steerable cameras fitted to these modern meters. Some say the latest meters are fitted with experimental mind control tech! I've been wearing a foil-covered hard hat since the black-ops guys came and upgraded my meter.

TIme for someone to post the pic of the crystal ball.

image removed

[EDIT]But not by me, and I deeply resent some pathetic lying anonymous moderator making it look as though the above was what I wrote.[/EDIT]

Sadly I do this job! (work for UU).
Your meter won't be a Smart meter (SMS coms) as the trials are not complete before "rolling out" of the new technology.
If you have a 1 rate credit meter you will get a little white box that's an Ampy 5235a.
For 2 rate supplies either an Ampy 5224e or 5246c depending on the system requirements.
WHY?
Government has told suppliers they need to update their equipment every 10 years now, so don't worry you haven't been singled out!
If you are still hooked up to a cannabis farm, get it pulled out before they arrive! ;)

Thanks for the replies!

Wait until I tell my colleague who lives in Nigeria - he's lucky if he gets NEPA for an hour a day! He spends thousands on diesel for the gen, when there's no fuel shortage.

Newboy, does that mean that for my meter that was fitted in the bronzes ages I can contact my DNO & they must replace it?

Newboy, does that mean that for my meter that was fitted in the bronzes ages I can contact my DNO & they must replace it?

Not sure they would change it like that. But if you told them the "spinny thing" has stopped moving and the digits don't turn.....they would be out in a flash!! :rolleyes:

NB. A common point about sparks cutting seals. We NEVER report broken seals on the CUT-OUT. Breaking the meter seals for CU tails is a problem.

Not sure they would change it like that. But if you told them the "spinny thing" has stopped moving and the digits don't turn.....they would be out in a flash!! :rolleyes:

NB. A common point about sparks cutting seals. We NEVER report broken seals on the CUT-OUT. Breaking the meter seals for CU tails is a problem.

if the meter seals are broken and it's obvious that the tails have been changed then is it still a problem?
obviously if the seals are broken but there are no new tails then the first thing that springs to mind is meter fiddling..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back