University students to be refused student loans......

Sponsored Links
I thought this conversation was familiar - it had a 2 year break!

Talking of university students, did anyone see the article on the news today about the uni student that took several degree courses? He now has, wait for it, a £231,000 student debt! He'll never pay that off. No doubt some on here will say it’s his right to improve himself but it’ll be us picking up the tab for his life long learning.

Talking of university students, did anyone see the article on the news today about the uni student that took several degree courses? He now has, wait for it, a £231,000 student debt! He'll never pay that off. No doubt some on here will say it’s his right to improve himself but it’ll be us picking up the tab for his life long learning.
I was listening to it on the radio as I picked my lad up on his return from uni. He needs 2k for next years student accommodation! Bank of dad has been primed.

He does work hard so I’ll help him.

£231k! That’s ridiculous, there should be a cap on it.

Sponsored Links
£231k! That’s ridiculous, there should be a cap on it.

I've been trying to work out how that could happen.

Apparently, you can get student loans for a maximum of the length of your first undergraduate course plus one more year. Maybe if you took a medical degree with a foundation year and then did a 1 year masters afterwards you could get 7 years of loans. That would be about £140K at today's rates. Plus compound interest.

I've been trying to work out how that could happen.

Apparently, you can get student loans for a maximum of the length of your first undergraduate course plus one more year. Maybe if you took a medical degree with a foundation year and then did a 1 year masters afterwards you could get 7 years of loans. That would be about £140K at today's rates. Plus compound interest.
They did numerous degrees by all accounts

Wouldn't it be great if they made it free, like in the old days.

They did numerous degrees by all accounts

You can't get a student loan for numerous degrees. There are strict limits. The length of your first course plus one extra year in some circumstances. Hence my curiosity. I'm always curious when things look odd!

How many years of student finance do you get?

You can get funding for the duration of your first undergraduate course. You might also be eligible for an extra year of funding in certain circumstances, including:

Failing a year and needing to retake

Needing to pause your studies for personal reasons

Changing course or university midway through

You can't get a student loan for numerous degrees. There are strict limits. The length of your first course plus one extra year in some circumstances. Hence my curiosity. I'm always curious when things look odd!
That’s what It said on the bbc news. You can take it up with the reporter if you feel so strongly about it.

There’s an article about it.

Degree. Phd's always take longer. Same for Msc.
Medical school (four to seven years)
Seems 4 would be rather unusual. Probably just a nurse.

The repayments have an interesting aspect. They may not cover the interest charges so the debt keeps increasing.

Those aren't undergraduate degrees though and wouldn't be eligible for a student loan.

Exactly. These loans are strictly controlled. I have found some tight exceptions where you can get partial funding if you do a further degree in healthcare, computing or a hard science. Maybe the person who got that massive loan did a first degree then retrained first as a physicist, then as a nurse, then as a computer scientist.

Sponsored Links
Back