Unsure about the work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a repair done on my house for mild subsidence and a new window put in. I had asked for a new lintel as well, but the builders said that the one I already had was ok. (Two other trading standards approved builders had also said that I didn't need a new lintel when they came to give quotes.) However, a neighbour's friend took one look at the work and said 'who did that' in an incredulous voice when he saw it, but said it was OK when I asked him what was wrong with it. My neighbour does not think much of the work and I suspect put him up to be critical. It has made me worry though. The builders put mortar on half of the lintel though it was just the same as the half they didn't put it on. The structural engineer wasn't effusive in his praise, but just said it was the best you could expect nowadays and I had nothing to worry about. I am enclosing a photo of the new window with the older lintel and would be interested in hearing what people here think.

Attachments

• WP_000355.jpg
    WP_000355.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 265
Sponsored Links
From what you've said clearly the lintel isn't the issue, but what they've done isn't going to win any awards for beauty

What's wrong? It's going to be painted isn't it?

Anyway, if this is part of subsidence remedial work, then it's not up to the builders to say what they think it's needed, but it's up to the consulting structural engineer to specify what is required.

Sponsored Links
The structural engineer hadn't said that a new lintel was needed. I just thought it might be. Yes, the work will be painted. It's just that my neighbour and then her friend made critical remarks. My neighbour is the sort of person who thinks that I am useless at arranging for things to be done. I said to the structural engineer about her friend's comment and he said that that was an unhelpful thing to say.

Your neighbour and their friend are presumably not Clerks of Work, so can be politely told to go and swivel.

Your engineer is a bit of a drip too for his "best you can expect comment". He should swivel too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back