Unvented cylinders and solar panels

AJ wrote

If you use a twin coil at least you've only got to heat 150l on days when there is little solar irradiance and the recovery time will be lower.

What happens when 5 or 6 people are in occupancy with this scenario, all requiring showers?

Sponsored Links
AJ not sure where spectrum/solartechnik got the panels from, the ones that i've been out to had all been installed very well. shame they had to lie about things and use cheap heating pumps and valves just to save a couple of bucks

AJ wrote

If you use a twin coil at least you've only got to heat 150l on days when there is little solar irradiance and the recovery time will be lower.

What happens when 5 or 6 people are in occupancy with this scenario, all requiring showers?

I was going to post a sarcastic reply along the lines of, perhaps they could have a strip wash, draw straws, shower together etc.

In the end I decided to post the obvious, how about they'd use the boiler ;)

Sponsored Links
AAh the boiler. Silly me.
Which one is it? This one............
dalesman.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Many thanks for all your replies.

I'm more reassured that the proposed design is ok, i.e. 2 single coil cylinders, despite the debate about efficiency of solar. Will check water flow rate. However I'm still unclear how the pre-heated solar water will be used effectively .. surely it will only be used once the boiler fed cylinder water is drained off?

Is this why ajstoneservices suggests a different layout?

Also re Willis ... sounds interesting ... how much?
Ajstone suggests PHE or side arm HE as alternatives. What are these plse?

all the best .... Mick :cool:

Sorry folks ... I'd not read all replies when I posted above.

It seems to me that either we go with ajstones suggested layout ... uses solar effectively when available and sounds good for when there's just a few folk there.

Or we fit a sun to tap valve from the solar cylinder as someone else suggested.

thanks for advice about using RESOL.... Mick :cool:

Unvented cylinders require an annual service which costs. Any gain from solar will be negated by the service charge. Get sensible and get a service-free heat bank/thermal store, which offers so much more and zero-risk of an explosion too.

Get sensible and get a service-free heat bank/thermal store, which offers so much more and zero-risk of an explosion too.

These have the nick name in the trade of "rust buckets".

Whilst they might not fail so soon if they were ever properly inhibited, if they are not serviced, to include checking the level of inhibitor and topping it up, then they can be expected to start leaking sooner!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back