unwanted visitor and a PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
We had an uninvited guest whilst the family were asleep, I was confronted with a big guy and a knife but we are all ok.
I am having some security bits and pieces fitted and have a question about our existing lighting on the driveway which are operated by a switch in the house. I would like to add a pir so once we go to bed at night the pir takes over and should someone walk on the driveway the lights come on again. We tend to leave the driveway lights on until the last one goes to bed anyway.
When they were originally fitted some 15 years ago a pir was fitted near to the last light but never connected.
From what I can see there is a junction box next to the standalone pir and the connections for the switch and lights are in there. It has a live feed in, the cable for the switch goes to there and then there is a feed to the lights. Can someone help and tell me how to wire the pir in please, it has a number of connection inside marked N.E.L. L1. L2.
Sorry if it sounds confusing, I am not "gifted" in the electrical dept.

Blue eyez

Sponsored Links
glad to hear you're OK..

a photo of the connections inside the light and inside the PIR would help us out.. we're flying blind otherwise..

side note, time to get a big dog methinks... something that barks when strangers are about, not one of these ones that would try and lick the intruder to death..

On the PIR there are two live outs. I am not sure why? Either different timing or one is perment dawn/dusk. What make and model is it?

Try as I have wired it, and then try swapping L1 and L2 if it doesn't work as expected.

Sponsored Links
Wow that's clever, thank you.
It has a label on the top which says.

IQ group
TYP NO TNSA140D
3396 G4
230V~50Hz
L1 MAX 1000W
L2 MAX 120W
IP44

Can you just confirm that the wire in L1 is going into the choc block in the top left corner?

Thank you Lectrician, I will do it now.

Can you just confirm that the wire in L1 is going into the choc block in the top left corner?

Yes. That looks to be the switched live return from the switch to me.

I can't find any info on that PIR, I expect it is manufactured to be re-badged for a company.

Going by the power rating, I would say L1 is the switched live output for the PIR. Not sure what the L2 output is.

Lectrician

Your a star, all works brilliantly, thank you to everyone.
I am having an alarm fitted now and am looking at cctv for the front so I will be posting a few more questions soon.

At times like these you feel humbled by the help others can give at such short notice, a genuine thanks guys.

Blue Eyez

Thanks guys for the advice, am reading all the the threads I can at the moment to get a good overall picture of what to buy and what to avoid.

ask over at the alarms, cctv and telephone forum.. there's bound to be professional installers on there that can give you a recomendation..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back