UPVC Door Security Help Needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!
Basically just a few days ago someone broke into my home when I was away and stole my girlfriends purse from the living room (she was alone in the house). Literally week after that my friend got his radio stolen from his car parked in front of my doors.. Now i'm desperate to increase security of my front doors so it doesn't happen again and I can sleep better. I was thinking about installing nighlatch or maybe a London bar and a dummy alarm outside.. what do you think about it? can it be done with PVC doors? I attach picture of the doors for your reference.. any suggestion are much appreciated!! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Don't leave keys [like those in pic] within easy access of letterbox, would be simple to remove those keys thru the letter box.

That locking mechanism looks at least 20 years old, it might be worthwhile getting in touch with a double glazing doctor from your local yellow pages to upgrade it to a more modern one with hooks and shoot bolts, may also be an idea to get a lever/pad mechanism, that'll give you the night latch facility your after

or fit some sash jammers for security whilst you are at home. just google the term, there are tons on ebay, This couls be a quick and low cost fix.

Sponsored Links
broke into my home when I was away and stole my girlfriends purse from the living room (she was alone in the house).
Just to check, did they walk in through an unlocked door? Or what?

I prefer a door that can only be opened from the outside using a key.

broke into my home when I was away and stole my girlfriends purse from the living room (she was alone in the house).

I prefer a door that can only be opened from the outside using a key.

Hence my suggestion of a more modern mechanism with a lever/pad arrangement.

Sash jammers are good for night time security when your in bed but no good at all on your last point of exit (front door) if your going out.

Nope my girlfriend said she locked the door before going to sleep and when she woke up it was simply unlocked... no signs of forced entry thou

I was thinking of changing the cylinder for a better one and possibly a handle.. I dont want to change the whole mechanism as I dont own this house..

If the property is'nt yours I would insist the owners fit
a new euro lock to any acessable doors, with no sign
of damage to door edge someone had a key or they are
profesionals!! or do it DIY screwfix do a good range of euro
locks, check size from each end of old barrel to fixing screw
to give required size.

Ask the landlord/Agents when the lock was last changed.
They often never change the locks and if the keys are not restricted anyone has a copy still.
I doubt you were "attacked" by a certain method. A key floating about or the door was left unlocked. Easily done with that type.

Get the crime number and a print out of this thread and use it to show the landlord/Agents the risks.

As above get a new cylinder, anti bump and snap, and the handle conversion. After all it is their investment they are looking after.

Remember print this off and show them.

Locksmith and Alarm (Security) Engineer 30 years experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back