1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Use for leftover bricks

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by cwhaley, 20 Nov 2018.

1. cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have around 140 grey paving bricks and about 30 usable post-war (1940s) Imperial house bricks.

I don't want to give them away -- there must be something to be done with them in the garden.

Any ideas on what to do with them other than lay a small path?

2. mctav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I edged my lawn with some leftover grey block pavers, looks much neater now.

3. cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought about that.

How did you deal with the lawn mower hitting the bricks? There is a 2" drop from the edge of my lawn to the flower bed on the edge.

Also - were they simply tapped into the ground or concreted in?

Last edited: 20 Nov 2018
  4. mctav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I laid the pavers on a lean concrete mix and tapped them down until they were flush with the lawn, there was a bit of digging first to allow space for the concrete bed and to get a straight edge to the lawn but it was fairly straightforward after that. I haunched with concrete up the exposed side of the paver to make sure they dont slip and backfilled with soil.

I have not yet hit the pavers yet with the mower, I have to be careful at the corners in case both front wheels of the mower drop off the pavers. One more bonus is I very rarely have to edge the lawn anymore.