Using a resistor to reduce voltage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening.

I've just bought my self a CT meter off ebay.

The display is an LCD screen with backlight, so requires a power supply.

It requires ~12mA at 12V

The stated input range is between 8V and 12V AC or DC.

Would a resistor be suitable to reduce the voltage for this, and if so, what size might I need, or am I being crazy and ought to use a small transformer?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you mean drop the voltage from 230V then yes, you're being crazy. You would need a 3W resistor, which is highly inefficient, but worse, if the device took less current than expected, it would experience an over-voltage. A proper power supply is only £3 or so.

Maybe you meant something different though.

EDIT: PS. What's a CT meter?

Sponsored Links
6a00e009865ae588330120a4f89534970b-800wi

Would CT = cathode tube :?: :?: :?:
Am i getting this right you want to drop 230 down to 12 with a resistor?
well mmm well mmm well, yes it'll work ish but why :?:
Getting a trany for buttons would surely be better

The resistor size required would depend on the resistance of the appliance, and whatever rating it turns out to be I'm guessing you'd set fire to the carpet. Go have a look on ebay for a 12v power supply.

Yes you can, assuming the load will be fixed.

It's not obvious what you mean when you say the input is 8-12V AC or DC, as clearly 8V DC would be below the required input for the screen. Even 8V AC will only give you ~11.3V peak.

Also, if the input is as variable as you say, and AC only, I would use a transformer to up the voltage to around 15 and then rectify and regulate. A linear regulator would be fine for such a low current.

For an 8V DC supply you will need a step-up inverter to get 12V out.

Colin C

AC/AC Multi-Voltage 500mA Power Supply only £13.99

A simple wound transformer with tapped secondary

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-ac-multi-voltage-500ma-power-supply-35927

Virtually any plug top power supply with the correct ouput voltage will do. I have even used transformers from fairy lights in emergency.

But avoid switch mode supplies as the 12 mA load will be too low for them and they may become unstable and the voltage become un-regulated and go too high.

Voltage divider circuits are only good when the voltage at the junction supplies a high-impedance input, which isn't the case here.

If the load is a constant 12mA, then a 3W, 18K resistor in series would work, but it would get very toasty, and if it failed s/c then the mains would fry your display.

A small, cheap transformer with a 9V to 12V secondary would be ideal (£4 maplin)

A CT meter is used to measure current. It is done by passing the wire you want to monitor through the centre of a current transformer (CT). This generates a voltage proportional to the current flow which is measured by a meter and converted to display the current flowing in the wire.

I'm not sure that the load will be entirely fixed. It might vary as the reading on the display varies.

I was partly trying to do this on the cheap, and partly wanting to limit the amount of space taken up by the components.

If someone could provide a link to a tiny little transformer that would be brilliant.

If someone could provide a link to a tiny little transformer that would be brilliant.

Are you wanting just a transformer, or an AC-DC power supply? There are loads of small PCB mount transformers available, but you'll still need to add at least a rectifier and smoothing capacitor. Plenty of slightly larger (but still relatively small) chassis mount transformers are also available. Again, rectifier and smoothing required.

EDIT: I have also used these before as part of a job at work. Pretty compact and no other components required. They are PCB mount, but that's easily resolved with a bit of strip board and some terminals.

clicky

There is a 9V or 12V version.

EDIT: Is this just to provide power to a backlight (assuming since either AC or DC is OK)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back