Using a steel UB in a valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My SE has said he thinks I'll be better off using a UC instead of a deep valley rafter (5 metre span)

It seems to be that this is going to cause me a lot of extra b*ggering around trying to fix 20 odd rafters in to it, so I'm wondering about steering him back to timber.

Having never used a steel in a valley before (not being a full time builder/roofer!), I don't have full awareness of the pro's and con's... are there further considerations that I should take in to account?

I presume it also means some more custom fabrication cost in getting the top end of the UC bolted in to the steel ridge, but it's more the on-site construction time that concerns me I think.

Sponsored Links
No idea on your loads etc but what about a flitch beam?

Perfectly feasible using timber; this valley beam was two 300 x 50 c24s screwed together. Can't remember the span but it was not less than 5m. Much easier than using steel.
Having said that, the roof was relatively steep. If your roof is lower in slope, deflection might be an issue. Nevertheless, get the SE to work hard at trying to get
DSCF8440.JPG
a result with timber.

Why do roofs need a steel ridge when 70 years ago a bit of skirting board was fine?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure. I mean the highest part of the roof, horizontal bit where the front and back rafters meet.

A Ridge board is a thinner bit of timber used to nail the rafters to, whereas a ridge beam is a thicker piece of timber which is a structural member used for things like a vaulted ceiling that has no ceiling joists.

Yes, mine is a structural ridge beam... And needs to be due to not being able to tie the rafter feet together with a joist as you normally would.

With the cdm regulations now the SE has an obligation to consider how the beams will be installed safely. That means that they should specify bolted timber as much as possible which would be safer and easier to lift.

So that stops the top of the roof from dropping and pushing the wall plates off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back