Using old Rubber Cables on a new rewire!

Sponsored Links
I tested the cable today and the IR reading was 3Mohms, which may pass now but probably wont for much longer, so I've told them its too dangerous to leave in, (don't wont a 3Mohms reading on a complete rewire).
But as a comprimise i've spent around 3 hours today getting the cables to the wall lights...I had to knife down the wallpaper via spirit level, peel back 0.5cm either side (very very carefully), scrape a very small channel for the cable to fit, fill the channel with filler. Tomorrow morning I'm to try to get the wallpaper to go back down with wallpaper repair paste. Hopefully it'll go back down ok, as these are the types of people who will withhold monies if they aint happy. If it turns out well i'll post a pic, if not, then I won't embarress myself further.

I tested the cable today and the IR reading was 3Mohms, which may pass now but probably wont for much longer, so I've told them its too dangerous to leave in, (don't wont a 3Mohms reading on a complete rewire).
But as a comprimise i've spent around 3 hours today getting the cables to the wall lights...I had to knife down the wallpaper via spirit level, peel back 0.5cm either side (very very carefully), scrape a very small channel for the cable to fit, fill the channel with filler. Tomorrow morning I'm to try to get the wallpaper to go back down with wallpaper repair paste. Hopefully it'll go back down ok, as these are the types of people who will withhold monies if they aint happy. If it turns out well i'll post a pic, if not, then I won't embarress myself further.

Don't you just hate it when that plaster grit gets lodged behind the wallpaper?

Sponsored Links
If there is clear access to the top of the run where the rubber comes out into the ceiling void it might be possible to extract the rubber cable and slide 1 mm twin and earth into the space left.

If the cable will not pull out whole then pull the wire out and then try twisting the insulation so it shrinks into the space left by the wire and away from plaster etc. It might then with care be possible to remove it.

EDIT OK you have done it. good luck with the wall paper repair. In the long run a lot safer than using the rubber......

Yeah because ELV doesn't start fires...

If you were not being humourous then meet the chap whose 12 volt car electrics set the back of his driving seat and the head lining on fire.. it was a dodgy company van with "extras" but still ELV

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back