Using one neutral for multiple rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi no neutrals at my light switches and can only get access to one old ceiling light for a neutral, if I drop this to the light switches for fitting smart switches in the future and I only have one light circuit in the flat will it be okay. I have 3 room switches back to back within 30cm of each other ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Borrowed neutrals are dangerous, they are called borrowed neutrals where the line and neutral do not come from the same source, and maybe in your case they do, but since there are loads of light switches which don't need a neutral, I have three Energenie MiHome in this house, although I would not recommend them, there is simply no need to take a neutral to the light switch.

Borrowed neutrals are dangerous, they are called borrowed neutrals where the line and neutral do not come from the same source, and maybe in your case they do, but since there are loads of light switches which don't need a neutral, I have three Energenie MiHome in this house, although I would not recommend them, there is simply no need to take a neutral to the light switch.
So you are saying not to just in case, that’s all I needed to hear, will have a search for HomeKit ones.
Thanks

If you have only one lighting circuit (ie. they are ALL fed from the same fuse) then the neutral isn't 'borrowed'. In this circumstance, taking a neutral connection from a light fitting & distributing it back to a number of switch points does not contravene any regulation.

Sponsored Links
If you have only one lighting circuit (ie. they are ALL fed from the same fuse) then the neutral isn't 'borrowed'. In this circumstance, taking a neutral connection from a light fitting & distributing it back to a number of switch points does not contravene any regulation.
Will double check that one trip controls all lights and report back

oh well split between 2 breakers so looks like the extra neutral is a no then

Can you put both lighting circuits onto one breaker?

You could then use the name neutral.

hi beyond my skillset and the circuits i want to use are on different breakers lol

But they wouldn't be on different breakers if you put the wires at the consumer unit into the same breaker.

Not usually.

How many lights on each breaker?

Are there any other lighting circuits other than the two we are talking about?

Better still, can you get your new neutrals from the consumer unit position easily?

Have access to the cu but only access to the hall rose, so was hopin* to drop a neutral from here to let me then have a neutral smart switch in the hall and kitchen and living room as there switches are next to each other

Have access to the cu but only access to the hall rose, so was hopin* to drop a neutral from here to let me then have a neutral smart switch in the hall and kitchen and living room as there switches are next to each other

I'm not clear - are you saying you can get the neutrals from the cu or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back