Smart lightswitch neutral, used the one attached to back of box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Erm so I installed a smart light switch with the neutral cable that was handily screwed to the back of the box. Apparently I wasn’t supposed to do that?
Is it okay? Should I put it back?

What solution for this?

Attachments

• 01A310D5-6EB5-43AF-8325-A78AF52A3A86.jpeg
    01A310D5-6EB5-43AF-8325-A78AF52A3A86.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
That is an earth connection, and can't be used for any other purpose.

Light switches on older installations do not normally have neutrals at them.

That is an earth connection, and can't be used for any other purpose.

Light switches on older installations do not normally have neutrals at them.
Soooo I should put it back where it was?
Am I going to burn my house down by using it?

Unlikely to burn house down, but could mean you get a nasty shock.

The neutral and earth are normally at the same potential, but under fault conditions, and the fault may not even be in your home, the neutral can raise well above the 50 volt deemed safe.

There are light switches which don't need a neutral, however they tend to have more of a problem with lights not switching off, and a shimmer when switched on. And also more expensive.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to burn house down, but could mean you get a nasty shock.

The neutral and earth are normally at the same potential, but under fault conditions, and the fault may not even be in your home, the neutral can raise well above the 50 volt deemed safe.

There are light switches which don't need a neutral, however they tend to have more of a problem with lights not switching off, and a shimmer when switched on. And also more expensive.
No shock needed! I put it back how it was with old BORING switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back