Vaillant EcoTec 24 Pressure Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Our boiler packed in a while back, and after 2 weeks of cold water, our landlord had a new boiler installed today.

I was delighted to have the heating back, but I think there's something wrong with the boiler (likely how it was installed, I'm guessing).

When I first looked at it, the pressure with 0.5. After some googling, I figured out how to let some water into the system and bring the pressure back up to 1.5.

However, after putting the heating on for a bit, I happened to check back and see the pressure had gone back up 3.8!

I turned the heating off, and it went back down again, but any bit of heating shoots it back up.

Any ideas of what I can do? I've heard a lot of talk about Expansion Vessels, however I really don't know a lot about what to look for/expect with this. Any explanations or advice, I'd be really really grateful.

Cheers,

C

Sponsored Links
Get the installer back to check the expansion vessel.

Should be under the warranty. If a manufacturer defect then they can call vaillant.

Shouldn't, being the operative word. But fair enough. Just said I'd see if it was anything obvious, as involving LL moves at a snail's pace (2.5 weeks without heating, hot water or washing machines before we got a replacement, and it was installed by some questionable lads).

Sponsored Links
Every remedy involves opening the boiler something you are not qualified or entitled to do.

How you interact with the landlord is not really relevant to the problem.

Should the tenant have been given paperwork to prove the installation was done by a RGI ? Or does only the landlord see any certification?

Between you and me, I really don't think that this was done by a RGI. I'm pretty sure this was two guys the LL knew. To be honest, it's the final straw for us - paying top dollar in London for this. But stuck here for another few months, so until then, need to make the best of a bad situation.

Or does only the landlord see any certification?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqtenant.htm

Your landlord has duties under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to arrange maintenance by a Gas Safe registered engineer for all pipe work, appliances and flues, which they own and have provided for your use.

Your landlord must also arrange for an annual gas safety check to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. They must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.

But stuck here for another few months, so until then, need to make the best of a bad situation.
As long as it is only bad and not dangerous due to a non compliant installation.

If the landlord is not compliant with the law then you need to fill in this form. https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/lgsr1

Did you shut the valves off fully after topping up the pressure.

Yeah, I did thanks.

I've escalated it to the LL, and in the meantime, I bled the rads a bit, pressure is back into an acceptable range. I'll see how that goes and go from there. Thanks so much to all of you for your advice (especially with regards to the HSE stuff, very useful to know).

As bad as this has been, I've definitely learned a lot...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back