Vaillant EcoTEC Combi Boiler - pressure / water issue ?

I too have a similar problem.( Vaillant ecoTEC plus 831) Woke up this morning to no central heating. Checked boiler- water pressure too low. Read instruction booklet on how to increase bar pressure. Opened up the two grey valves underneath the boiler, pressure has now increased but dial pointer is now in the red zone and digital display is flashing 3.1 bar.
I now have a number of questions:- :?:
1. What caused the pressure to drop? ( Boiler is only 5 months old- no problems up until now)
2.Will this high bar pressure be o.k. or will it damage the system?
3.How can I get the pressure back down to normal? ( in the dark grey zone on the dial )
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1. Air bubbles escaping, radiators bleeding air, very very small leak

2. Pressure too high, you should only have filled it up to 1.0 -1.5bar (press the '-' button to see the actual bar pressure in your boiler)

3. Let some water out of the radiator system using a bleed key on the vent. It'll take a while! Turn off the boiler while doing it.

3. Alternative solution: Use the drain valve under the boiler, 7mm or small adjustable spanner.

:) Thanks for your replies Simond & Mickyg. Have drained some water from the system using the drain cock under the boiler and this seems to have done the trick. Pressure gauge now shows needle in the dark grey zone. In hindsight I think problem may have been caused by turning on a radiator in spare bedroom that had been off for a couple of months.
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP. :D

Sponsored Links
Press the minus button, bottom left, and it will display the pressure. As said earlier set to 1.2 ish when system is cold.

Andy.

Hi there,

I had the same prob as the first person on this list but it was the central heating that wasn't working. I did everything suggested and everything looks ok but the heating will not come back on. It will only come back on temporarily and only by boosting the boiler on by doing a test of it pressing the - + buttons together (a recommendation from the Vaillant ttelephone technical support). The heating then comes on for a bit but just switches itself back off. I was trying with the guy on the phone to work out the connection between the boiler and the Heatmiser thermostat but with very little success. Any ideas would be most appreciated! Thanks

We have had this boiler fitted from new approx 4years old and we are sick to death of it. Everytime we go away or the weather is fine and we want to vary the timer eg go from all day heat to twice a day it kicks out with a blasted f2.2 error. We have had the guy in who fitted it many times who says each time "i cannot understand why" - he has to date bled the system,flushed the system, put in a coagulant to stop leaks all to no avail. The final straw is we have come back from an overnight flight from the States to a freezing house with no water once again. Our sin - other than buying Valliant- is we changed the timer from all day to twice daily before we left. Not unreasonable as we were not here and could not see the point in paying for heat when we did not need it. We have got to the stage where we don't want to change the settings at all and leave well alone but that is not the way forward in my view. We live in a tiny mews house over three floors. The boiler is on the top floor under the eaves and the tank is sited on its side next to it. Both were bought brand new and installed together at the same time and put in by a nice Polish plumber the builder used at the time. We have under-floor heating theoretically speaking and two towel rails which in an ideal world run on the hot water. This is our only form of heating. Can someone please tell me if I should carry out what I really want to do which is throw the 'B' thing off the roof! What a shabby boiler and judging by the emails a complete duff one at that. Sorry about the rant but having to go out and find a shower and warm up is not conducive to one's sense of humour. Can anyone please enlighten me? Ps. There are no, have not been any visible leaks anywhere that we can find and surely the coagulant stuff they put in would back this up?

All help gratefully received - now where did I put that hot water bottle and blanket?

Get your installer to check the expansion vessel pressure.

I have had lots of Ecotec Plus boilers lately with the vessel gone falt.

Dear Dave

Many thanks for your help. I have just come back from a bus journey as i knew it was the only thing to warm me up!
The installer is here and i have put your suggestion to him. He is now checking the pressure with my bicycle pump?!
I get the feeling he his totally mystified with it. He can get it going again but we all know it is a matter of time before it goes again.

Kind regards
goodybags

Dear Dave,

Pressure is ok as the pump reacted properly according to the fitter.

He is scratching his head and really has no idea as to what the problem is.

Goodybags

There are two models of the Ecotec combis.
Ecotec pro.
Ecotec plus.

Both will have a filling loop,(a silver braided flexi pipe) which is what you need to find to increase the pressure.

On the plus the filling loop is directly under the boiler.

On the pro the installer decides where to put it. But it probably will be somewhere near your boiler.

Water regs say that the filling loop should be disconnected after use, so you might need to re connect one end.

Hi. This is exacly the problem I was faced with this morning with my 7 month old ECOTEC Pro 28 boiler. I bled all rads yesterday after I found cold spots in some upstairs units and extracted a fair amount off air.
This morning the boiler had shut down, red light showing, no pressure and fault code F.22/0.0 flashing alternetely.
The fitters left a braided tube with me but with no instructions. I'm sure that this is needed to repressurise the system by way of attaching both ends of it to the two screw capped pipes below the boiler.
I have made that connection but am now stumped! It seems necessary to OPEN TAPS/VALVES at BOTH ENDS to complete the loop but there is only one flat-blade screwdiver slot that I can see - this is on the right-hand pipe.
This is where I would be massively grateful for some help! Please!

Andy.

2 grey knobs underneath boiler, turn them on until correct pressure then turn both back off. use "-" button to check exact pressure reading.
merry christmas.

The miracle of the internet, husband away, pressure low, now what....thank you mickyg, pressure up did both at the same time, worked a treat

There are two models of the Ecotec combis.
Ecotec pro.
Ecotec plus.

Both will have a filling loop,(a silver braided flexi pipe) which is what you need to find to increase the pressure.

On the plus the filling loop is directly under the boiler.

On the pro the installer decides where to put it. But it probably will be somewhere near your boiler.

Water regs say that the filling loop should be disconnected after use, so you might need to re connect one end.

Hi. This is exacly the problem I was faced with this morning with my 7 month old ECOTEC Pro 28 boiler. I bled all rads yesterday after I found cold spots in some upstairs units and extracted a fair amount off air.
This morning the boiler had shut down, red light showing, no pressure and fault code F.22/0.0 flashing alternetely.
The fitters left a braided tube with me but with no instructions. I'm sure that this is needed to repressurise the system by way of attaching both ends of it to the two screw capped pipes below the boiler.
I have made that connection but am now stumped! It seems necessary to OPEN TAPS/VALVES at BOTH ENDS to complete the loop but there is only one flat-blade screwdiver slot that I can see - this is on the right-hand pipe.
This is where I would be massively grateful for some help! Please!

Many thanks for those instructions Andy; I did eventually find the shut off valve for both ends of where the braided pipe attaches.

Nigel

Andy.

Just had a Valiant 831 fitted over the last 2 days by our local gas supplier. Engineer left and the heating and hot water were working fine, an hour later and they are not. Fault code F28 displayed indicating an ignition fault, reset but fault persists. Pressure seems low at 1.2 bar so I increased to 1.4 but fault remains.

He's coming back tomorrow to fit time clock and clear the rubbish and I hope he can resolve, my concern is that as we had the optional flush and fill with Fernox that perhaps a weakness has been exposed in the pipework leading to a leak and subsequent pressure loss.

Could be I'm panicking over nothing but having spent over £2,000 I don't want to spend any more. Any ideas on the possible cause of the fault, I've reset about 5 times but it keeps returning to fault code F28.

Bit late to be asking but are these systems any good, I replaced my old Valiant as it was 14 years old and I was told that the new ones were much more efficient, gas has gone up by 15% here so any saving is valid.

I'm in Jersey BTY but the system doesn't recognise Jsy so I inputted UK, Christmas island yes but not Jersey!

Errr just a thought but is jersey natural gas at normal pressure?
just checked an it's not... I would turn it off an ring ur installer pronto to make sure he has set up co2 correctly f28 is gas ignition fault!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back