Valiant ecoTEC plus 428 - Heating not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since February we are having issues with the heating of our house while the hot water for the shower works perfectly well. The actual heating the rooms, or the heating up the radiators don't work. Appears it only works for 1 or 2 radiators on the ground floor. All the other floors not much luck. In total we have 11 radiators in the house.

The house is a 3 bedroom terraced house with indoor space of ~110m2 with 9 'typical' radiators, and two wall radiators.

If I look at the Valiant on the top floor, I can see three icons show up:
- flashing fench icon
- tap icon
- circle with black filled triangle

Above the icons it shows 70c and when I press the i button on the panel the display changes and where it displayed the temperature it now shows the numbers 5. 7.

Recently we had a chemical flush of the pipings, replaced tri valves (I think they are called like that) on two radiators. The heating worked for two days and now it stopped working again. The pipes of radiators are not (piping) hot as you would expect. The pipes next to the Valiant itself are hot.

I am getting a bit distraught about the heating, really hope it will be able to get working again.

I was wondering if there any experts here that could help, if the above rings any bells? I am wondering if it could be some sensory issue? Maybe that it thinks it's already on the temperature? Currently, we put the thermostat on 30c but still no dice. Definitely, it's not 30c in the house.

If you are happen to be based in London and have the time to look into this problem and resolve this problem. Please leave me a message and we can discuss :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Common problem with these boilers. the pump cant shift enough water through the heat exchanger so the boiler goes into limp mode, what setting is the pump on and what size is it ? you could also try downrating the boiler to 20 kws and see it that helps. (how to is in the install instructions)

Blimey, 28kw for a 3 bed, 11 rad terraced house. I'm no plumber/heating engineer but surely that's a bit too much isn't it? I have an 18Kw in a 3 bed, 10 rad semi and I have rated that down to 12kw. I only put it up to 15kw when it's really cold outside.

S.7 (5.7) is pump overrun. How many motorised valves do you have?

Sponsored Links
And what is a fench icon ?
I think he means 'fence' icon. I get something like that up on mine. I think it's supposed to be a radiator.

515E4819-DFB5-48D9-94B5-CC1C06117555.jpeg

As far as I am aware there is one three way valve on the ground floor. I did a bit of reading on the site, I checked the d.0 value which appears to be 30. If I understand it correctly, I should change this to a lower value. I think it's suggested to change this 15-20kW? At this might help with the boiler behaving better?

If I try to change this myself could this make the problem worse or break the boiler?

> @picasso what setting is the pump on and what size is it ?

Sorry, I have to admit my experience is limited, and have to ask for clarification what you are asking for.

Last edited:
Drop the d0 to 20kws, it wont break or damage your boiler, post a pic of the pump and any buttons or dials on it.

Thank you, that's a relieve to hear. I will definitely try that shortly.

Regarding your pump question, I think, you mean, the following apparatus Grundfos Alpha2L next to the Valiant. Am I correct?

My apologies for my lack of understanding of heating systems and such

Last edited:
Great, I will try to lower that setting and let you know. I would be delighted if that solves the problem!
Regarding changing, from another forum topic, I understood this are the steps:

1. Press the "I" and "+" keys simultaneously.
  2. The display shows "d.O"
  3. Press the "i" key. The display shows the relevant
  4. diagnostic information.
  5. Use the "+" or "-" keys to change the value (display flashes).
  6. Save the new value by holding down the "i" key for
  7. approx. 5 seconds until the display no longer flashes.

This could be sending it round the hot water circuit instead of the radiators.

Maybe a stupid question but if a few radiators are luke warm on the ground floor, would this still be the case? Could the above suggestion of changing the boiler setting
affect this somehow?

Anything else I could try besides that if it wouldn't be working?

Turn off the hot water on the programmer, set the d0 to 20 kws and report back.

On my 418, I think I have to enter 17 to get into the engineers mode before I can change the max output setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back