Valiant ecoTEC plus 428 - Heating not working

Okay, switched hot water mode to off on the programmer downstairs. Trying the commands to set the boiler to 20.

To make sure I understood, do I need to turn the hot water on again after I did that? No, correct?

Steps done:
  1. Set the mode for hot water to `off` instead of `continued`
  2. Changed the d.0 value on Valiant boiler from 30 to 20
My assumptions for next steps, are wait at least like a hour to find out if the radiators and the connecting pipes are getting hot.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, it should be balanced. Recently got chemical flushed, drained, refilled, aired, etc.

Amazing!!!! Looks like the largest radiators are already warm towards hot! Others are getting towards hot. Not all of them but it's progress :D

I will wait a bit longer. Bit odd that its a bit over the place which radiators are already hot but cool

Sponsored Links
What the next step?

Tomorrow morning turning on the hot water again and see if the radiators stay warm during the day?

On my 418, I think I have to enter 17 to get into the engineers mode before I can change the max output setting.
Yes, on the newer type. Older types no.

Last edited:
What the next step?

Tomorrow morning turning on the hot water again and see if the radiators stay warm during the day?
Yes, however if having the hot water affects the radiators, then allow the hot water to heat, and then cancel for rads. If this is the case, I suspect the 3 port valve.

If I understand you correctly.

Tomorrow I should be able to turn of the hot water together with the heating, the expectation here that everything works happily. If the radiators are not staying hot/warm after enabling the hot water mode then I should turn off the heating mode to allow the hot water to heat up. If the hot water then works again; the main cause will be the 3 port valve and needs to be replaced.

Did I understand you correctly?

Thank you all for the help so far; you can't imagine how happy I am that the heating is working at the moment

Hmmm, some of the radiators are not hot anymore but luke warm now without having touched the thermostat or the Valiant boiler. Guess, that's because the rooms are at temperature?

Also the heater/radiator icon is flashing again, though

Would trying to lower the d.0 to towards 16 (or lower) instead of 20 have effect? If not, what would the next steps for me be?

Last edited:
@Mottie I don't appear to have any radiators without thermostatic valves

Anyways this morning I forgot I turned off the hot water on the programmer, the hot water side, still is set to 'off' instead of 'continued',
I might to shower and I actually had hot water! Could that be because I lowered the the termostat in the living room from 30c to
25c over night and might had some spare hot water?

After my morning shower I did put the thermostat back to 30c from 25c and the radiators in the living are already warming up a bit

This house has one weird heating system if you ask me!

Oh, that's not what the last four plumbers told me that came over the last few months :(
I also think my parent's house also has the thermostat in the same room with radiators that have these Lockshield like valves on it

I have these kind (not exactly the same type) on the radiators: https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-chrome-angled-trv-lockshield-15mm-x/31811
and I have this https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-home-t6360-1028-mechanical-room-thermostat/696fv in the living room. The latter
is near a Boilermate BP 185.

The radiators are warm/hot again; some are hotter than others but they are all not cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back