VCW GB 242 EH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these which has worked well for years. Some time ago just about everything except for the pump and heat exchanger was replaced. Today I noticed the boiler needed topping up and I did so to around 1 bar.
I then found the automatic air vent was dripping. I took it off and tried cleaning the float and crud out. I screwed it back in and repressurised the system.

It still leaked! I have a new one but note that there is no washer with it and I can see that the old one had a recess specifically for a rubber washer which was inset..
The new one came with no washer and has no similar recess for such a rubber washer. Should I use PTFE tape instead of a washer or both?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That is fixed but boiler refuses to fire up. On switching on the fan runs. I hear some gurgling but no ignition. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I do not know if you can do this, but the will say anyway, the main heat exchanger has air in it. Needs to be vented manually

I do not know if you can do this, but the will say anyway, the main heat exchanger has air in it. Needs to be vented manually
Thanks. How does one vent the heat exvchanger manually?

Diverter valve functions with hot water tap turned on. Differential valve opens as expected.
Not what I asked , I asked if the new Automatic air vent that you fitted is open ? it has a little cap like a car tyre valve if that is closed open it and it will vent the air from the boiler , might have a little plastic plug rather than a cap some do

By telling you how to do what I suggested, I would be breaking site rules regarding giving advice on area that is restricted. Needless to say you should be able to get the answer from the boiler manual :whistle::whistle:

XXXI hint hint :LOL::LOL:

Thanks.
By telling you how to do what I suggested, I would be breaking site rules regarding giving advice on area that is restricted. Needless to say you should be able to get the answer from the boiler manual :whistle::whistle:

XXXI hint hint :LOL::LOL:
hello, Just out of curiosity if you have air in the heat exchanger how does that affect the burner firing? Is there some pressure sensor in the exchanger?

The operation of the various components is hydraulic. Air in the system will hinder operation of diverter and other components that rely on pump pressure to position them

Thanks looks like getting the air out is not going to be easy. Can you bleed the diverter / differential.

Thanks looks like getting the air out is not going to be easy. Can you bleed the diverter / differential.
No

look at the hint. Cannot tell you more
Purging air from HE is child’s play

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back