Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I need to replace an old vented thermal store because the eco7 immersion has gone and the plumber has advised that it's seized in place and the whole tank will need to be replaced.

The tank in question is a Gledhill Torrent (which I don't think are made now) but I've looked around and it seems like this is the most suitable replacement (plumber has agreed):

https://www.advanceappliances.co.uk/product/53-electric-thermal-store-hot-water-only/

I'm thinking of installing this myself with the help of a friend as it seems to just be cold water in, hot water out, an overflow and the wiring of two immersion heaters. We're both reasonably competent with basic plumbing and we've worked with immersion heaters before as we both used to work for an industrial filtration company where they were regularly used. This heater if also pretty identical to the old Gledhill one in terms of components too, so I'm assuming it will be an easy enough swap.

Does anyone know if these are straight forward enough for self-installation? The plumbers quote to fit is £450, and this has come at a bad time money wise so trying to save a bit where I can.

I'm reasonably confident that we could fit this, but my main concern is whether or not a vented thermal store needs to have any kind of official certification when installed? Do they need to be properly commissioned or anything?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back