Ventilation requirements for two dfe fires in one room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any one know the required position on vents if a room has two dfe fires in it. I know the kilowatt rating is needed for the size of the vents its just the position I could do to know. Is for my NVQ level 3. Or if someone could point me in the direction of were I could find this information. Couldn't see anything in the viper book about this.

Sponsored Links
Remember MIs are important here. And fire regs. Probably building regs too. And consideration of draughts.
Perhaps start by looking in the MIs of a dfe fire.

Sponsored Links
should the be positioned at a set distance between the 2 fire? on opposite walls?

You speak in the plural. What is your understanding of the ventilation requirement?

Possibly NOT to be fitted directly under fire

I don't think there are any regs as to where the vents go, only that the size of them complies with the KW rating of the fire. If the vent is on the opposite side of the room, then this could cause a draught across the room, but building regs won't bother about that. It could be argued, that the best place for a vent, was a close to the fire as possible, so underneath the fire could well be the best place to site it; and as there are some fires that have an adaptor that fits under the fire, and connects to an outside vent, this could well be the best place - just have a chat with building control first though.

I don't think there are any regs as to where the vents go, only that the size of them complies with the KW rating of the fire. If the vent is on the opposite side of the room, then this could cause a draught across the room, but building regs won't bother about that. It could be argued, that the best place for a vent, was a close to the fire as possible, so underneath the fire could well be the best place to site it; and as there are some fires that have an adaptor that fits under the fire, and connects to an outside vent, this could well be the best place - just have a chat with building control first though.
...and what do you think might happen if vent grill were positioned directly below appliance????.. I'll give you a clue 'flame reversal'...You may come across these vents positioned within builders opening in order to aid 'chimney draw' with regard to solid fuel...
BTW there is a mention of this in the regs..;)
Why do you suppose the size of closure plate relief opening to be an important factor???

For a start the ventilation for two DFE's that share the same room must have a minimum vent free area of 235 CM2

Couldn't find any info on flame reversal Steel, always glad to learn new things, and what's the mention in the regs please.

Can't say I know Fireman.

Sorry Steel, I wasn't talking to you, but the OP. I actually just revisited the forum as I realised afterwards that from a practical view of the application of ventilation and also my wording, it was a daft post, so I was going to delete or edit it.
That is to say that I don't even know if you can get a single vent big enough, but if you could you would only need one. If you see what I mean

Couldn't find any info on flame reversal Steel, always glad to learn new things, and what's the mention in the regs please.
Your homework for tonight is to trawl through those regs to find it so you won't forget next time ..... Just think of it as sitting in class doing your ACS...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back