Veritas Alarm intermittent tamper mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some issues with the alarm at the start of the year where it would not come out of tamper mode. It just happened to start randomly working back then... but ive have still had the following issues:

When alarm is not set it will randomly go into tamper attack mode - red tamper light will be lit on the keypad. If i enter pin the red light will go out and green light will turn on. I can then set the alarm on like normal by entering the code. Intermittent fault has it will tamper attack mode randomly.

Tampers what i believe are on the system
Lid tamper on control panel
Cover tamper on keypad
Bell box
Detector tamper circuit

I have noticed i get a little buzz type sound from the control panel.

Where is the best place i can start looking at the issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depending on the age of the panel you can tell what tamper device is causing the issue , if it's a really old panel it's a case of linking out the tampers one by one or fitting a tamper splitter pcb to find it , it may be a long process

If for example I link out all the tampers for the x5 PIR i have and i still get the fault mentioned above i take it i have ruled out those PIR's being the cause of the issue?

Battery has a date of 2011 ... i guess it may be worth changing it?

link out at the panel end.
This eliminates cable issues between the device and panel.

If you use prog to access the menu structure, you should be able to do a walk test or basic log to identify where the tamper is coming from.

details in the manuals, and have been posted on here many times.

Sponsored Links
I have just got home...

Right, I have 4 PIR downstairs.

Alarm is working as it should (at the moment). I have done a walk through test and it picks each of the PIR up without any issues.

I have set the alarm ON but omitted x2 PIR (rooms which I won't be using this eve). Will see if tamper mode returns.

I don't recall ia particular zone being lit when the tamper kicks in.

Only when the r8+/ excel panels have the eol option turned on will you get individual zones showing up as tampers. however the 8/8c and R8 are capable of diagnosing if the tamper is coming from a lid tamper/power fault etc etc.

Could a potentially near end of life battery cause the symptoms I am having? As stated earlier battery has a date stamp of 2011.

Been 3 hours since I set alarm and all is fine at the moment.

the battery could cause a tamper fault, 5 year battery life is the norm, so probably over due, if it was serviced annually it would be tested.

not all batteries are equal.

Sometimes an ill-fitting passive cover can cause intermittent tamper issues as can bell boxes.
Also dodgy joints especially under carpets.

Right, so the Alarm has been working fine without any issues for 6 days, yesterday the TAMPER red light came on.

Currently both Green and Red Tamper lights are lit.

If i activate alarm it keeps beeping away.

Reset button does not get rid of tamper light.

Where do i start to look at the issue please?

While it got the tamper fault still on it ....check the following ....global tamper on ....ohms 2-30 ohms should be ok
Bell tamper return , remove the wire one probe on 12+ one on the removed wire ( meter set on dc) should be around 13.8 v

have you not looked at the basic alarm log or walk test?

when tamper is displayed press OMIT, what number/s are displayed

as its intermittent I would use the log route

have you not looked at the basic alarm log or walk test?

when tamper is displayed press OMIT, what number/s are displayed

as its intermittent I would use the log route

Will check what numbers are displayed the next time unit goes into tamper mode.
The test completes fine each PIR.

In approx. 2 weeks the alarm has gone into Tamper mode around 4 times. It may just be a coincidence however one time the alarm triggered tamper mode when i switched a light on in the kitchen.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back