Very unusual junction box fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Believed to have been due to dead spiders and/or other creatures being cremated inside one of the three BT junction boxes. All three boxes destroyed.

Post still smouldering when Fire Brigade arrived but unable to apply water until power cables were isolated.

Power lines NOT involved

Post has to be replaced

fire post 30July2019.jpg

Sponsored Links
think they be more robust to spiders

It is a mystery as to what happened,

This is the top of the pole after it was bought down. It looks like JBs on opposte sides of the pole both caught fire. But given the near hollow state and totally dry state of the pole the fire may have spread through the pole

pole top damage.jpg

I find it very hard to believe that a BT line is capable of providing enough current to create the heat needed to start a fire! I know BT lines operate at -48V but the length of the line often means that even the short circuit current is bugger all unless you are nextdoor to the exchange.

I think there is something else at play here. Perhaps mains impressed upon the phone circuits by some other fault? Any lightning in the area within an hour or so?

Where is a our resident former BT engineer? HarryBloomfield, care to comment??

Sponsored Links
Very strange,i doubt the 50vdc from the phone lines or Ringing voltage would be the culprit hear personally i would be checking the separation distances between phone and overhead power lines,or maybe lightening strike near by.
When i worked for openreach i would occasionally come across boxes that had been frazzled by a near bye lightening strike but you would also get loads of common faults in the local area (internal rectified loops normally) but never anything like that,i did once pick up AC voltage on a exchange frame which was coming from the end users phone line being in contact with mains AC voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back