1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Violence in NI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobby Dazzler, 8 Apr 2021 at 9:03 AM.

1. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler

Thanks Received:
    France
    Does anyone see the hypocrisy in blaming the violence in NI on the police decision not to prosecute attendees at a funeral?

"If you don't prosecute some attendees at a funeral for breaking the Covid restrictions, we're going to resort to violence and mayhem!"

:rolleyes:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler

Thanks Received:
    France
    There have been multiple breaches of Covid restrictions at funerals for more than a year.
    A senior police officer has said there have been social-distancing breaches at funerals in NI in both the unionist and nationalist communities.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52843344
    Why is Arlene Foster excusing the current violence on Republican breaches of Covid restrictions?

4. diy_fun_uk

diy_fun_uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I realise this is a contentious thing to say, however I think those throwing rocks/stones and petrol bombs (from both sides) are pathetic. I wonder how many of them are genuinely interested in the goings on in Ireland and how many genuinely want to live in a peaceful society. Cause I'd call throwing rocks and petrol bombs a funny way of showing it.

As a human race, we never seem to learn. We'll be the masters of our own downfall sure enough.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vinty

Vinty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That how the system now works in N. I.
    That was the deal brokered by Blair and co.

SF now has a sense of entitlement that make any benefit scounger blush.

When you have people who have literally got away with murder in positions of authority why should something as trivial as ignoring social distancing regulations be a problem.

As to your original point.
    The reason the police are blamed is because they are the scapegoats on this occasion, the whole system is predicated on appeasement of SF/IRA and not rocking the boat.
    24 SF (including the deputy first minister) members were charged with breaking Covid regulations, not one have had the decency to apologise for being at the funeral but then again, why should they, then know no one will do anything about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vinty

Vinty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It wasn't just 'some attendees' at a funeral.
    It was the Deputy First minister of the N. I. government who at the funeral along with other senior republican politicians.
    None of these people have shown any regret for their actions.
    The police allowed them to openly defy the law.
    That is the problem.

7. charliegolf

charliegolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's not contentious. Contentious is, throw a petrol bomb, we shoot you dead. THAT'S contentious!

To answer your other point... nearly ALL of them want to live in a peaceful society, but only where there are no Catholics/Protestants* near them.

* delete according to prejudice.

8. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler

Thanks Received:
    France
    Both Unionists and nationalists have breached the regulations.
    Bit no-one thought it necessary to resort to violence until now.

9. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Brexit Brucie Bonus.

Or as remainers might say: we told you what would happen

10. Sponsored Links
  11. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've been to Belfast once, just before the referendum, and I was amazed to discover that they had more "peace gates" then than at the height of the troubles.

As you do, we went on the sightseeing bus, but what a terrifying experience that was. I'm really trying not to be disrespectful to our NI friends but it isn't a happy place. Brexit is an excuse and has little to do with the real reasons.

12. Vinty

Vinty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    N. I. is a lot happier place to live than large parts of Britain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vinty

Vinty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes that is true.
    However when you have the deputy first minister breaking the regulations and refusing to even apologise, and a police force who help to facilitate the breaking of the regulations, what do you expect.

14. fillyboy

fillyboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I sailed over to NI and spent a week on Strangford Lough, Having sailed to S.Ireland a few times before I was expecting to be disappointed, I found it far nicer, the scenery was stunning and I found the people friendlier than in the South. I certainly found it a happy place.

• Like Like x 1
  15. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ireland (north and south) is one of the best places I've holidayed or visited. Great people, fantastic craic.

Give over you big jessie.

16. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Myth.

• Like Like x 1
  17. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Perhaps the wider country but I found Belfast grim and it certainly doesn't look a happy place this week.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-01...l-divided-peace-walls-20-years-after-conflict

"More than half the peace lines that exist today were built after the peace agreement. Many are high, harsh structures, while others are a mix of gates, mesh fencing and solid walls."

The bus route is basically a tour of murals, bomb sites, peace walls and anecdotes like "the most bombed hotel in the world" and the "court with the thickest walls in the world because of car bombings".

We had a two day ticket but it didn't run on the Sunday. All the peace gates were closed, closing roads, because there was a Rangers/Celtic game on in Glasgow.

Some streets full of israeli flags, streets on the other side full of palestinian flags. Bus stopped at traffic lights and a few youngsters started spitting on the bus windows.

My wifes friend loves the place but it isn't for me.