Violence in NI

Only went in the military, so a different slant for me. But I was doing a flying job there, and I can attest to the countryside being absolutely stunning. Wasted due to the ****s spoiling it for everyone back then.

Sponsored Links
That how the system now works in N. I.
That was the deal brokered by Blair and co.

The NI Deal made the best of a bad job.
Most people liked it at the time, the majority of both N and S voted for it, and Brexit wasn't on the radar 25 years ago.
NI voted to remain in the EU but the DUP backed the Government.

Leave lied about the consequences, May bribed the DUP with a suitcase full of cash. And Boris and his mates also lied about borders/customs borders when they took over.

Boris threw NI under the bus, threatening to break an international treaty.

Sponsored Links
Boris threw NI under the bus, threatening to break an international treaty.
He'd left himself with little choice.
His own rhetoric had cornered him into, a) agreeing a deal by his timeline, otherwise his credibility would have suffered (I know, he had none) b) agreeing a deal that would be supported by Brexiteers, (and bugger the rest), c) be sufficiently different from May's, (otherwise why the leadership challenge), and d) to satiate his life's burning ambition to be PM, he'd be prepared to dance with the devil.

"Belfast violence: Rioting youths clapped on by adults as fears grow of spiralling unrest

Adults in Belfast applauded teenagers and young men rioting during a seventh successive night of violence in the city’s west end, police said.
Older men – some suspected of being involved with paramilitary groups – encouraged the disorder, which has now seen a total of 74 police officers injured, according to assistant chief constable Jonathan Roberts of the Police Service of Northern Ireland."

Maybe those who blame the violence solely on 'ignorant teens' should have a word with Jonathon Roberts?

Rioting youths clapped on by adults as fears grow of spiralling unrest.....Older men – some suspected of being involved with paramilitary groups – encouraged the disorder,
Like I said in the other thread you just got closed. Idiot youths being goaded by criminals. And possibly old women like yourself! Anyway, I can’t sit here all day on the iPad, I’ve got furlough money to earn. Right, what’s on the telly.....;)

Last edited:
A seasoned reporter, been around NI a bit... called it, 'recreational rioting'. Summed it up perfectly.IMO.
Yep, 99% of those throwing stuff will have little genuine appetite for cross-border peace. And on it goes, pathetic.

Like I said in the other thread you just got closed.
To be correct, that other thread you got closed/closed ;)

If you can get yourself away from fawning in front of the telly no doubt you'll get this thread closed as well :rolleyes:

Whilst there now exists a generation in NI who have not lived through the 'troubles', that's not enough to break the DNA hatred of the other side. Another 50 years of peace would have helped the next generation(s) to just think, "Meh!". But then came Brexit, and whilst I'm not interested in the trade bits and the WA bits or the GFA bits, the one-nation stuff I am interested in. We're just at the point in history where the Papes are = to, or are >than the Proddies in the voting stakes. That means that when a vote comes along... It won't be recreational rioting then!

I've been to Belfast once, just before the referendum, and I was amazed to discover that they had more "peace gates" then than at the height of the troubles.

As you do, we went on the sightseeing bus, but what a terrifying experience that was. I'm really trying not to be disrespectful to our NI friends but it isn't a happy place. Brexit is an excuse and has little to do with the real reasons.

I have been to Belfast many times when Aer Lingus had cheap flights ( before BA bought them and moved them to LHR from LGW ). Lovely place and well-mannered people. I miss this level of mannerism in England. Very clean as well. No dried chewing gums on pavements. Places further along the coast also have a good scenery , especially where GoT was filmed.

The vast majority of the people in Northern Ireland just get on with their daily lives,the flashpoints today are the same ones of 40/50 years ago,its not got anything to do with Brexit,both sides just do this sort of thing now and again to make sure their not forgotten.
Belfast is a great place and the people so friendly,i feel safer walking in Belfast than in Manchester.

Sponsored Links
Back