Volex switches and sockets - waste of time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to replace various in my house and was looking at these in the Screwfix catalogue ... Ordered a couple for inspection and they look fine.

Now I'm reading terrible things about these people - mainly wrt consumer units.

Do they make terrible switches and sockets too? Should I be avoiding them?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello, Father Tobe, welcome back. How's the priesthood?

Volex is a bit of a budget brand, but not as bad as the cheapest (I tried some of their cheap Marbo switches and don't like the feel of them). For the difference in price, see if you can get Crabtree, MK or MEM.

MK CU's are not so good as they used to be, and their latest light switches are a bit odd to connect. But their switches and sockets look stylish and seem to me to be good.

lol

Thanks a lot! Will have a look about. Any good suppliers recommended? Ideally want to order online...

(Priesthood is fine - in fact it must be over a year since I registered the name since my 'qualification' is coming up for her first birthday. Don't let anyone kid you, though. The Priesthood is very hard work - as I'm sure some of you know. Need much more sleep if I am to serve God better...)

work out how many you want, and call your local wholesaler - they may beat the onliners and you can call in and collect to save P&P.

There is almost certain to be one down a rocky lane at the back of an industrial estate in your nearest town

If you don't want to collect they will quite likely have a very quick local van.

p.s. Screwfix have an offer of 50 Crabtree for £80 inc VAT.

p.p.s. I have always thought the MK are the most stylish and have a "quality" feel to the switch action.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.

Tried looking on mk's site but all pictures are low-res - and impossible to judge.

Now thinking that I should be looking broader - for something not necessarily super-highend but perhaps a little more original. Current choice was chrome with black inserts but I'm sure there must be some cool options out there.

Any suggestions for a) quality pics of MK or similar or b) other higher-end stylish suggestions).

Will be needing mainly dimmers for LV and sockets.

Perhaps I need to go somewhere in person - am London based.

polished chrome is ideal for houses where there is no-one with sticky, dirty or greasy fingers.

Brushed stainless is not so bad.

There is someone with almost permanently sticky fingers but she won't be up at the light switches for a few years...

securespark said:
Long time since I had any of that... ;)

You poor old fella! I'll send you an old socket and you can play with the switch under your desk :LOL:

My house (about 40 years old) was originally fitted with Volex sockets. The damn earth connections were made of brass. As some of you may be aware, brass is not renowned for its springiness and tends to stay where it's put. So a couple of years of plugs being shoved in and out put paid to any hope of a reliable earth connection. (A quick check with my "Martindale" showed no earth connection on 50% of the sockets!) My wife started to notice "tingling" while leaning on the washing machine for comfort. However, this wasn't the sort of tingle she was after!

I've steered clear of Volex ever since. MK tend to be rather expensive but I find Crabtree to be a good compromise. Of course it's wrong of me to judge a company by its crap products from 40 years ago but "once bitten...".

I have similar feelings about anything labelled "Amstrad".

Thanks. A check on a recent socket shows they have moved away from brass ...

I in fact fitted Crabtree screwless sockets/switches all over my previous house and it may be the design/clip on plates but I found them a bit lacking. Don't know about safety.

Will explore MK when I can find somewhere that has reasonable res images of the things. O even head out at the weekend to look properly.

mk EVERY TIME , MOST RELIABLE AND BEST FOR QUALITY , NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH THEM , SEEN SOME 40 YEARS OLD AND WORKING A TREAT

The original poster has had 2 and a half years experience of what ever he bought in 2007.

But yes MK do seem to be the best.

have a look at VARILIGHT......massive choice of finishes and plenty of London based suppliers....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back