W-B 15ri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has had a quote to replace a heating only boiler for a Worcester Bosch 15Ri. The boiler appears well enough designed with a circular heat exchanger and top mounted circular burner. It seems simple enough. The heat exchanger is aluminium. With heat exchangers with top mounted burners I do believe the the heat exchanger does not need cleaning out as the condensate washes out any accumulated dirt into the condensate trap/pipe. I looked at the manual and they recommend a clean out with a brush. Is this something to do with it being aluminium?

Also, any feedback on its reliability? I have read some bad reports on W-B boilers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They only need a strip down service of the heat exchanger based on the analyser results. We've found some of them have to be stripped every year, others never need doing; never found any sense in it....

I haven't fitted a WB in 16 years as have found we repair more WB's than any other boiler....

They only need a strip down service of the heat exchanger based on the analyser results. We've found some of them have to be stripped every year, others never need doing; never found any sense in it....

I haven't fitted a WB in 16 years as have found we repair more WB's than any other boiler....
What are the main problems with these boilers? Are the new models better than the old?

Sponsored Links
The new one is supposed to be better, but this is only what's been said by Worcester themselves. The heat exchangers on the Ri range are all susceptible to warping from overheating, seizing baffles & burning out electrodes.

The new one is supposed to be better, but this is only what's been said by Worcester themselves. The heat exchangers on the Ri range are all susceptible to warping from overheating, seizing baffles & burning out electrodes.
Doesn't sound too clever to me. But why would it overheat? As long as the pump is running enough water through it and the controls work, why is that a problem? Is it, if it overheats the exchanger warps?

Thanks. It looks like few have enough experience of these boilers. Two nutballs who posted here clearly have no clue of anything at all, and not a clue of life either. But this is the Internet.

Last edited:
They overheat in localised areas if there's the tiniest bit of dirt trapped in them, causing the heat exchanger to start to implode, which worsens the problem and eventually they spring a leak

They're full of plastic parts, use a rubber hose which perishes in the heat of the casing to carry gas from the gas valve to the burner, and are a royal pain in the arris to work on. Buy an Intergas HRE 18 OV instead

Although I mainly repair boilers, I have fitted about 8 of the Ri range over the last few years.

I have found them pretty reliable and the only fault I am aware of is a failed fan after 20 months on one of them. Sorted out under the warranty.

Still waiting for a replacement Worcester jacket though. Mine is about 8 years old and looking extremely tatty!

Tony

They overheat in localised areas if there's the tiniest bit of dirt trapped in them, causing the heat exchanger to start to implode, which worsens the problem and eventually they spring a leak

They're full of plastic parts, use a rubber hose which perishes in the heat of the casing to carry gas from the gas valve to the burner, and are a royal pain in the arris to work on. Buy an Intergas HRE 18 OV instead
Thanks for the recommendation. So if the system is not squeaky clean there may be big trouble with Ri range? So a filter on the return pipe is essential on these W-B boilers. A rubber gas pipe? Wow! I suppose a responsible person would replace that with copper bundy tube outside the guarantee period.

All boilers need a clean system.

Its not just a Worcester thing!

All boilers need a clean system.

Its not just a Worcester thing!
But if some dirt totally ruins the heat exchanger that sounds like rather too sensitive.

Last edited:
Does the Ri range modulate the burner or is it fixed a 15kW?
Half answering my own query. From the manual.
"The boiler is designed to provide a high level of comfort while keeping gas consumption and the resulting environmental effect as low as possible. The gas supply to the burner is controlled according to the level of demand for heat. The boiler continues to operate with a low flame if the demand for heat reduces. The technical term for this process is modulating control. Modulating control reduces temperature fluctuations and provides even distribution of heat throughout the home. This means that the boiler may stay on for relatively long periods but will
use less gas than a boiler that continually switches on and off."​

Now, does that mean the burner modulates to "maintain" the boiler's setpoint temperature set by the user dial?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back