Wages

Sponsored Links
clearly he is a good worker or you wouldve got rid yonks ago.
how much are your other lads on?compared to him?
does he earn his wage,or do you have to hold his hand?
at some point you and him will have to agree he is no longer an apprentice and pay him the going rate that you pay anyone else.
do you pay traveling time?
if not,iirc years ago firms used to pay one way.

for 12 hrs a day his wages work out at £8.65 p/h.if your only paying him for 40 it works out at £12.98.
i bet you charge for him something in excess of 30 odd quid?

What do you think I should be paying him Gav?
You are not going to get an answer you want to hear on this forum.

PAYE people just want an easy life, have stuff managed for them, have a purpose in life, have an authority control what they do/praise them for doing it.

Figure it out, bin him off/keep him - who wins?

I'm not trying to get an answer I want to hear. I just want to see if people think I should be paying more. The general consensus is that I should be, and that's fine. I just wanted some objective opinions.
He doesn't need his hand held all the time and I wouldn't want to lose him so I'll have to pay him accordingly. I don't want to take the p*ss out of him but I don't want to make no profit on him either otherwise what's the point in having employees?

Sponsored Links
The other 3 guys are me and my brother who own the company and one ither self employed guy on similar money

Dale you have not told us what he does and what he does not do.

If he is just a nose down installer than that's classed as pretty basic work and the £24k is probably about normal even perhaps high for social work.

On the other hand, if you can send him to give a quotation for a new boiler or CH system then better.

If he can do repairs then better still.

If you can send him to deal with a customer complaint where the cust is asking for compensation for the leak damage or the damaged carpet then better still.

So £24k to £44k range perhaps.

The travelling hours are another aspect. If you transport him for two hours into London then he is really employed in Herts where perhaps wages are lower.

On the other hand if he is effectively employed in London for eight hours a day then given free transport then perhaps a higher wage and less hours.

If you tell us what he does and can do then we may have a better idea of what he can do and should be paid.

The Charlie Mullins attitude to wage rises is that they should be self financing. Perhaps you should ask him to suggest more cost effective ways of working!

Dale you have not told us what he does and what he does not do.

If he is just a nose down installer than that's classed as pretty basic work and the £24k is probably about normal even perhaps high for social work.

On the other hand, if you can send him to give a quotation for a new boiler or CH system then better.

If he can do repairs then better still.

If you can send him to deal with a customer complaint where the cust is asking for compensation for the leak damage or the damaged carpet then better still.

So £24k to £44k range perhaps.

The travelling hours are another aspect. If you transport him for two hours into London then he is really employed in Herts where perhaps wages are lower.

On the other hand if he is effectively employed in London for eight hours a day then given free transport then perhaps a higher wage and less hours.

If you tell us what he does and can do then we may have a better idea of what he can do and should be paid.

The Charlie Mullins attitude to wage rises is that they should be self financing. Perhaps you should ask him to suggest more cost effective ways of working!

I understand Charlie's(close personal friend) chaps are all self-employed Tony?
Also, I totally agree, it's down to the type of work too. There's a fair old difference between a blow lamp & multimeter. The former being for the hard of thinking.

Not banned Gav old chap, fairly & democratically voted out I think you'll find.
However, regardless of my past, current or future IP address. I can still keep abreast of things within the chamber pot........ ;)
Keep up the good work dear boy & hope your wife's thrush has cleared up?
I welcome you back with open arms, i have never gone against you. Your vernacular can cause extremely strong reaction though :mrgreen:

Can also report on wife's vaginal thrush infested vagina. Latest updates are a creamy white cottage cheese-like discharge, uncomfortable, but manageable @ Dickie :LOL:

Oh that's so reassuring Gav dear boy, that means I can count on your vote also in the forthcoming Poll; Get Puller back in the combustion chamber pot.
Much obliged my good man and pass on my regards to your good lady wife, a lovely girl & what a set of jugs!!... :eek:
Not many housewives' with vessels that hold that much lemonade??!!!
Thanks again.

Dick, there is a very interesting TV program on Youtube covering how Charlie manages a staff revolt over wanting pay rises.

I think it was linked to in the CC ! But probably easily searcheable!

Charlie effectively ring fenced his profit and asked the staff to share their earnings to increase the earnings of some.

There was a very wide range of pay with some getting nearly twice other's!

Tony

We only do contract work but on domestic dwellings. Usually full strip out and new systems ready for rental. I do all the pricing and clerical work. Essentially he is just working side by side with me or one of the other guys all day. He might have to sometimes liase with other trades or site manager but that is about the extent of it other than just the usual running pipes, fitting rads etc.

In that case I would say he should only expect about £24 k.

But the travelling makes his day long but that is provided free by you and the work is in London.

I hear of people working for rather less than that.

Thanks Dan, but I'm not actually gas safe registered myself

Of course if he is the nominal gas reg person then he could argue that he has greater responsibility!

I would not agree with that though as it would be no different if you were registered.

Thanks for your replies Tony. Again, although he is the nominated engineer, I paid for his exams and the registration fee etc. He is currently on £27k but I think I could stretch to £30k as work is good at the moment and he is a real asset to us.

I appreciate that it's a long day traveling to London, but essentially that's where the work is at. If he wasn't willing to go there, I don't think he'd find full time employment just working locally.

I'm glad your going to stretch him to £30k.
Good quality fitters are worth their weight in gold.
These are the artisan's who create and make the system taking pride in their work.
I think in france and the likes of Australia they command a lot more respect.

Certainly worth a lot more than the parts changers and servicers whose most advanced skill is creating the invoice.

£24k is laughable. Council road sweepers earn more. :rolleyes:
Some people need to get themselves out on to a site and humble themselves before these artisans by making them tea and addressing them in a yes sir no sir fashion.

Dick, there is a very interesting TV program on Youtube covering how Charlie manages a staff revolt over wanting pay rises.

I think it was linked to in the CC ! But probably easily searcheable!

Charlie effectively ring fenced his profit and asked the staff to share their earnings to increase the earnings of some.

There was a very wide range of pay with some getting nearly twice other's!

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll view that with interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back