A tale of woe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just received a call from somebody who runs a hairdressing salon near Oxford Circus. His boiler failed yesterday and he has had to close the shop until its repaired. His normal "plumber" is on holiday so he called a firm his friend uses.

This firm says it needs a diverter valve motor but clearly that is not problem as the boiler is not working at all. They cannot get that part in any case.

As we stock all the relevant parts he called me and I explained that we could supply any part if he arranged collection but I would not be able to get there today. He pressed me for a solution and I said I could only go there after 11 pm but in that case we would have to charge double time. He started to get annoyed and said he would not pay that. I replied in that case he would have to find somebody else to deal with it. I then received a real torrent of abuse.

I expect the salon will be closed on his most busy day in the week perhaps losing him a turnover of 3000-4000 pounds? But thats his choice as I had offered him a solution.

The motto perhaps is that if you are in a difficult position and you find somebody who can help then dont upset them.

Can anyone justify his attitude?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Stick his number in your phone under capital C and don`t answer when he phones back desperate.

Agile said:
Can anyone justify his attitude?

He could be one of these people who takes anything that goes wrong as a personal attack.

He had a variety of options open to him - you were kind enough to offer to do work at an anti-social hour, there must be a hire shop nearby where he could get some portable heaters, he might even be able to come do a deal with other salons to rent some space for a day... but no, you didn't do what he wanted at the price he wanted, so it's your fault.

You big meanie :p

thing is he had a problem and no one else could help him !

he rang the A team (agile) , but he didn`t want to pay.

People have choices and when the make them most tend to look at the price , not the cost .

Thats where they get it wrong .

arf

Sponsored Links
chalk it up to experiance agile

he is one of the clients who wants:

1 you to turn up ten minutes before the boiler breaksown
2 repair the boiler in six seconds
3 do the washing up
4 make his tea
5 Pay him 100 for the priviledge of working in his esteemed property

and STILL wont be happy

:)

or you could wait untill he calls again, and still charge him double.
But yes some people do not understand, perosnaly , i would have hung up rather than listen to abuse

sounds like hes the kind of guy that tinks you stay at home waiting for his and only his call, that you have no other work and actually enjoy being out the house after 11pm without getting paid for your trouble.
Ring him back, book a hair appointment for midnight sunday and give him so back when he tells you he's closed.

I find it funny that some people can ring you up with THEIR problem, you say you can't help them so suddenly its YOUR fault?

Usually happens if you do something as a favour, always comes back to bite you in the backside...

Just an update!

After posting that I had a call from a lady at another heating firm who I helped out a few weeks ago with some parts. She was asking about the parts they think they need for the same fellow! I appologised but said that after his tirade of swearwords I felt that I could not supply parts on this occasion. She sympathised and agreed that she would have taken the same action herself.

She also said the boiler was all in pieces when their engineer arrived so clearly he has not been telling me the whole truth about it.

Just to make it clear, I am quite accustomed to people without heating and hot water being up tight and reacting badly. Thats part of the business and I can accept that. When they call again and apologise I go and sort them out.

In this case he did not even ask what we would charge to repair his boiler. He just thought that charging any extra to come at midnight was "taking advantage" of him and so not acceptable. I hope he likes his closed shop!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back