Rogue customer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time for me, a customer's saying a bill's too high.

Changed a £20 part in his combi, which I had to go and get. Emergency-type call because he had no heating/hw. It took well over 2 hours, including draining system and refilling which was required.

I didn't like the bloke so I charged him £150. He says the job should have been £60 - he's asked somebody "trade", who wouldn't have enough information to judge.

He didn't ask for a rate up front, and I didn't ask him to sign anything -both wrong.

He'd called me because I'd worked in his flat before where he's a tenant, landlord paying.

This was a house he seems to have an interest in.

So what would you (pro's and customers) think I should do :?:

I can chuck in the convesation that when I work through a local shop, they charge me out at £80 + vat = £94 per hour.

Sponsored Links
He didn't ask for a rate up front, and I didn't ask him to sign anything

How long have you been in business? ;)

Sounds as though you're going have to reach a compromise. The only way to convince this guy is by showing him that he actually got a really good deal when compared with other outfits. The example of what you get charged out at is one way but an alternative is to see what other guys charge for emergency call out. I would have thought that once you get charged the call out, plus additional labour, plus parts that this is going to be well over £60.

Mind you, if you'd charged me £150 I'd probably be somewhat miffed. Go for £120! :LOL:

You should get into the habit of giving your price after inspecting the job and certainly before starting work. It is the customers choice then whether he decides to employ your services.
Give him a detailed written breakdown, emergency call out charge etc. Include Vat in the figure which say will be charged if prompt payment is not forthcoming.
Don't get caught out again Chris ;)

You can always offer to restore his system to how it was before.

tell him to shove it chris
i was cought like that a few times
other alt is you dont pay me for what i do
you pay for what i know :cry:

Sponsored Links
"restore his system "

I like that one!
keep em comin

As I said it's wrong - asking for trouble not getting it sorted up front, but what would you do now?
Tell him a Landlords cert is £60 for 20 minutes, quote BG rates??

Went to job yesterday and didn't even bother to knock on ther door, first no no is it was a rented flat above a shop, second no no landlord has shop below, third no no one of my own customers who lives over the road contacted me on the tenants behalf, phone conversation was that it was a pushbutton syphon toilet running into the pan, two years old, I knocked on my customers door and said forget it, tell em what you like I aint even looking at it, I know how it goes, bodged in the first place because it will be done cheap so a nightmare to work on, then it will be loads of running round only to be told you cant get a replacement, then it will mean a new cistern, then it will be "oh you rip me off putt putt putt outboard motor type noises" FORGET IT BEEN DONE TOO MANY TIMES BEFORE, went to another job where I KNOW I will get paid, next time think about past experiences, these people will eventually pick the wrong people and get broken knee caps and serve them right.

I would have quoted and charged a callout fee for up to the first hour. Used this time to work out the problem and made all the calls you need to locate the part and then given the bloke a price. Either he pays for the whole job & callout or he just pays for the callout but both ways you get paid.

ok PVM and AB, but, as I said, what would you do now?

Agree to knock some off so as to sound reasonable and at least cover your materials, when you have the money tell him straight you wont be back, get as much out of him as possible, never go back, let him get some bodge merchant next time, what goes round comes round, he will get his uppance, and do as I do learn from experience and beware of rented property jobs, for rented properties where I dont know the customer and it is for service and safety certificate type work, I INSIST on payment left with the tenant before I get there so I get paid on completion, I ASK to see the cheque or money BEFORE start of work, if it's not there I walk off like yesterday, even then I have been done, remember the motto, you may as well sit at home for nothing rather than working for nothing, best of luck.

ChrisR said:
ok PVM and AB, but, as I said, what would you do now?

How was it left Chris? did you just leave with no money but his system working? I can't quite get my head round him deciding your rates for you. Mind you, if the worst comes to the worst you can get 60 quid off him which is a bit of profit and hope the repair doesn't last.

Wow, if you didn't like hime before all this, what do you think of him now? actually, I'm the same, if someone treats you like something stuck to the bottom of their shoe then I always try and even the score a bit, the shame is that they don;t know it's happened!

ChrisR said:
So what would you (pro's and customers) think I should do :?:

I would tell him that you can demonstrate that your charge is reasonable and, if he won't pay, you'll take out a small claim court action on him. Once you do that and he loses, he will also have to pay the court fees on top of the £150.

It's easy to get the action served and as soon as receives it he will cave in and cough up.

Not necessarily, they get obtructive by not turning up, it costs you more in the long run in lost wages, then if and when you get them there and if the judge isn't in the same lodge as the customer then if you win you still have to get them to part with the money, for £150.00 I wouldn't bother, cut your losses now and do as I said earlier.

Seems to me £60 is too little. £150 is too much.
You're both trying it on because there was no price agreed first!
You both deserve the argument!
In these kind of situations I always feel that the fault lies more with the person who tries to score unfairly first, (ie. you for trying to bill him too much and also just because you don't like him).
Have the courage to admit to him that's what you did, because of all our expenses etc, tell him that, reduce his bill to a genuinely reasonable level, not necessarily £60, tell him not many tradesman would compromise and do that for him.

Result? You get more than he wants to pay from him, and you leave him feeling like your a) honest b) willing to be reasonable after all. Have the courage to admit to him it was your mistake not to set the price first (which it was), tell him you'll put that right next time, and you may well get more work from him in the future and him recommending you, or at least not slagging you! to his mates.

Tell it how it is - good general rule, and you won't go far wrong.

BradT said:
Have the courage to admit to him that's what you did,

Not a very good idea to admit you was trying to rip him off! :eek:

I'm sure that would do your reputation a lot of good :rolleyes:

If i had asked a plumber (or any tradesman) out on an emergency call and they had been there for 2 hours and supplied parts, then left having repaired the problem and made good i would expect to pay £150 easy. In my area it would average £80 call out, which would cover the first hour, then £60 per hour after that plus parts, so i would pay more than you are charging. Also there is the issue that if he knows someone "trade" why aren't they doing the job? He called you as he had witnessed your work before and obviously found you at least reliable or he wouldn't have called you. So in my opinion it is his problem for not requesting an estimate. I am an argumentative little sod who will always try it on within reason but i wouldn't argue your price. His fault he pays, end of story.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back