Wages

Thanks for your replies Tony. Again, although he is the nominated engineer, I paid for his exams and the registration fee etc. He is currently on £27k but I think I could stretch to £30k as work is good at the moment and he is a real asset to us.

I appreciate that it's a long day traveling to London, but essentially that's where the work is at. If he wasn't willing to go there, I don't think he'd find full time employment just working locally.

There is your answer if he's as good as you make out then pay him the dollar

Sponsored Links
I do have to say an increase to £29k or about 7% might be better as it leaves a little in reserve for next year. ( thats if £30k is the max for the work as most here seem to think. )

Problem is that once he reaches the plateau maximum for what he does there is no further to go apart from inflation linked increases of just 2%.

Tony

I was "brought up" by a electrical firm via a YTS scheme. Things were going well until I found out what others were being paid & what they were charging for me.

I always felt that I owed the company as they had taught me a trade. I always found asking for a pay rise hard, as my boss would always squirm out of it. I would earn the same amount at the weekends doing foreigners.

I was earning £180 per week...then one day.. someone else offered me a job..and I took it. I went back to the office on the Friday..and did not return on the Monday.

Now earning £33k, with inflation pay rises each year unless I take a higher position.

Buyer, you don't say how long you have been working for.

But in basic electrical or plumbing work there is a basic wage structure which primarily determines how much someone is paid.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'm led to believe living costs in London is same as up here in Aberdeen.

Going rate is about £14.50 per hour for someone with domestic gas tickets, not too sure about the fact he doesn't drive though, as surely that would reduce the wage if being ferried about by another tradesman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back