Wales becomes Trumpton

Sponsored Links
There was no opt out. To preserve the limit would have needed a traffic order. All restricted roads were amended via blanket change.

The process the local council would have to follow is the same for setting a limit at 40mph, where a system of street lights existed. The problem they face is NIMBYsm. Everyone wants the speed limit outside their house to be 20mph but not have to drive at 20mph on their commute. This is why balance is needed and blanket changes are stupid.

@noseall - as a hornsmoking Boris lover, male, pale and gammon (though I'm mediterranean skinned), do you really think I am an ex Labour Party member from Bridgend?

"Mr Baker isn’t a member of any political party, but was previously a Labour party member before leaving the party a number of years ago. He started the petition because he believes the default 20mph speed limit was brought in without it being fully explained to people"

Tories Election Manifesto
1696057910023.png

Sponsored Links
There was no opt out
I was only following your words...
The welsh government are now blaming the councils for not opting out on roads that they felt should not be charged

The process the local council would have to follow is the same for setting a limit at 40mph, where a system of street lights existed
Yes, but again, for all practical purposes, a road that is a 30 and has been 'opted out' to remain a 30, would never have had an enforceable 20 limit.
You seem to be using the term 'blanket' in an emotive way, which some might interpret that every 30 limit is now a 20, when in practice, with these 'opt outs', that is not the case.

The problem they face is NIMBYsm. Everyone wants the speed limit outside their house to be 20mph but not have to drive at 20mph on their commute
At least that, I partly agree with.
But with traffic around here, the reduction in speed limit seems to be aiding traffic flow through some pinch points at rush hour.

I can see that we are partly misunderstanding each other.

there was no opt out.

All restricted roads had a blanket change of limit from 30mph to 20mph as per the welsh specific SI.

The welsh government argued that it was for councils to "opt out of the change". But they could not simply say - "not the B231 or the Ring Road X, please". That is because the welsh government did not change the limit by bulk applying a load of traffic orders to existing 30 limits. They had no power to set speed limits on individual roads. That is for local government (mainly). They changed the definition of restricted road.

It was therefore a blanket change. To "opt out" would have required the local authority to run a load of bulk traffic orders to set the limit back on a case by case basis. You could argue that the welsh tories, could have resisted by bulk applying traffic orders, but I think they also saw political mileage in letting the change go through. Much as Sunak allowed Khan's Ulez expansion.

I can see that we are partly misunderstanding each other.

there was no opt out.

All restricted roads had a blanket change of limit from 30mph to 20mph as per the welsh specific SI.

The welsh government argued that it was for councils to "opt out of the change". But they could not simply say - "not the B231 or the Ring Road X, please". That is because the welsh government did not change the limit by bulk applying a load of traffic orders to existing 30 limits. They had no power to set speed limits on individual roads. That is for local government (mainly). They changed the definition of restricted road.

It was therefore a blanket change. To "opt out" would have required the local authority to run a load of bulk traffic orders to set the limit back on a case by case basis. You could argue that the welsh tories, could have resisted by bulk applying traffic orders, but I think they also saw political mileage in letting the change go through. Much as Sunak allowed Khan's Ulez expansion.
You seem to be struggling with the term 'blanket'
'Blanket' refers to exactly what it suggests - covers everything.
Whereas the policy refers to specific roads in Wales, i.e. restricted roads in urban areas.

As RandomGrinch suggests, your use of the word 'blanket' is emotive and misleading.

It was a blanked change to the speed limit for all restricted roads. It was not limited to urban areas.

Doesn't get any clearer than:

2.—(1) The rate of speed fixed by section 81(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (general speed limit for restricted roads) is reduced to 20 miles per hour.

It was a blanked change to the speed limit for all restricted roads. It was not limited to urban areas.

Doesn't get any clearer than:
You're very liberal with your misinterpreatation of the rules:
The 20mph limit has come into force for all restricted roads, which are defined as roads with lampposts placed not more than 200 yards (about 180m) apart. They are typically located in residential and built-up areas of high pedestrian activity.

That is not a blanket policy. It's a specific targetted policy.

These are a restricted roads
NINTCHDBPICT000411678185.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000411678175.jpg

If they were in Wales, the speed limit would be 20mph as a result of the SI that changed the speed limit for all restricted roads. Not just some, not just those in residential areas, not just those where pedestrians are. ALL restricted roads = blanket change - simples

These are a restricted roads
NINTCHDBPICT000411678185.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000411678175.jpg

If they were in Wales, the speed limit would be 20mph as a result of the SI that changed the speed limit for all restricted roads. Not just some, not just those in residential areas, not just those where pedestrians are. ALL restricted roads = blanket change - simples
...and back to the emotive!
Yes by law, it may be classified as a 20mph road, (down from an existing 30). But what council wouldn't apply for a traffic order on these roads if it was appropriate?

Just seems a bit daft to change them all and then let councils have to deal with changing them back. Would have been better to just change the ones that were sensible.

But then I guess thats why 450,000 are against it

Sponsored Links
Back