walking on a roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to clean a section of gutter which runs above a one storey high tiled roof. The pitch is not bad and i can easily climb on it with a decent ladder. I'd like to know if it is ok to walk on the tiles or is there a special technique (ie. guessing where the joists are so they can take up my weight).

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to go through the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Is it not possible to use a length of lat or similar with a hook/scoop/rag/sponge or similar attached because if you are not familiar with roofwork then I would not advise getting on it ? However if it is your choice to do so then tread carefully and try to stay on the bottom 4-5 inch of the tiles because that is the point of most support as it is roughly where the lat runs.

better still, give your window cleaner a tenner to break his kneck :confused: :D

Dont worry about falling through the ceiling - you will get stuck in the roof laths first.

Just tread lightly on the ball of your foot and don't bang your heals down.

Depending on what tiles you have, (most likely interlocking concrete by the description) if you hear a distinctive crack, they you will have broken a tile, and if no crack is visible it will be along the interlocking runner section

If you can't get on the roof, put a ladder up to the main roof gutter and use a long piece of timber with a rag tied around the end into a large ball shape and push or pull this along the gutter

Sponsored Links
There are companies that use a high reach pole connected to a high power hoover system. I clear out gutters as part of my work but always refer tricky jobs to a local company who has one of these systems.

I did a google search a few months ago and saw a company offering gutter clear outs for £2.50 per metre. not a bad price. I think they can reach 45 foot up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back