Wall Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Super newb question... But I have some wall plugs that have come with a towel rail and toilet roll holder (please see attached). Are they crappy cheapo things and am I best getying something proper from the DIY shop, or are they very specific ones not to be substituted ever?

Also, it's a modern house where everything is made from plasterboard.

Thanks,
James

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
You will need nylon self tapping plugs , use you own screws, toggle fixings have huge flat heads and won't fit you towel/toilet roll holders.If you are going thru tile then you can use conventional wall plugs.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-nylon-32mm-100-pack/3685H?kpid=3685H&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Screws, Nails and Fixings-_-Shopping - Screws, Nails and Fixings&gclid=CKu1rLLKgcsCFQ2eGwodBRUEjA

I've always had a bit of a disaster with those type of fittings. I used them somewhere else and the screw wouldn't screw all the way in and then snapped! :eek:

Sponsored Links
You will need nylon self tapping plugs , use you own screws, toggle fixings have huge flat heads and won't fit you towel/toilet roll holders.If you are going thru tile then you can use conventional wall plugs.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-nylon-32mm-100-pack/3685H?kpid=3685H&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Screws, Nails and Fixings-_-Shopping - Screws, Nails and Fixings&gclid=CKu1rLLKgcsCFQ2eGwodBRUEjA

I've always had a bit of a disaster with those type of fittings. I used them somewhere else and the screw wouldn't screw all the way in and then snapped! :eek:
Wrong size screw, has to be matched to plug, there is also a smaller variety for smaller fixings.

get some rawlplug unos. Or as foxhole says you need the right size screws for spiral fixings. 4 guage. But even the wrong sized screws shouldn't snap off in the nylon ones

If your house is dot and dab then you need to use conventional plugs, another reason for snapping plugs is it striking the wall and not having the required depth behind the plasterboard.

Are they crappy cheapo things
They always are.

For anything which has plugs or screws included, the very first thing to do is to throw the plugs & screws away.
The wall plugs are usually a non-standard size, made from ultra hard plastic and designed to not fit properly into any size hole.
The screws are typically made from metal which is soft as butter, have special threads which require 1000 turns to drive them into the wall and have heads which no screwdriver will fit properly.

Are they crappy cheapo things
They always are.

For anything which has plugs or screws included, the very first thing to do is to throw the plugs & screws away.
The wall plugs are usually a non-standard size, made from ultra hard plastic and designed to not fit properly into any size hole.
The screws are typically made from metal which is soft as butter, have special threads which require 1000 turns to drive them into the wall and have heads which no screwdriver will fit properly.

That sounds like an excellent plan...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back