Wall socket wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, yesterday I swapped a double wall socket for a new one with integrated USB points, I wired the new unit exactly the same as the old one, it works perfectly well, however when I test it with a voltage tester it shows live at both the neutral (left) and the live (right), there is another socket 6 feet along the wall that only shows live on the right hand side, do I have a danger/problem on my hands?

Any wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Alan

Sponsored Links
Take the socket back off and make sure the cables aren't touching the back box,

Sponsored Links
I would think it is a given that the cables are touching the back box, not much room in there

Sorry I should have made it clearer to make sure there are no splits in the sheaths and that the ends are fully home in the socket and not within touching distance of the back box

Sorry I should have made it clearer to make sure there are no splits in the sheaths and that the ends are fully home in the socket and not within touching distance of the back box
If they were the CPD or RCD would operate

The earth wires are bare, should I insulate them when it’s opened up again ?

If you are using a "volt pen" and the socket is metal, you will probably find that the earth shows as being live as well.

For peace of mind- why not buy a socket tester?

https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/socket-testers/cat7910008

The fact that the socket works when you plug a (3 pin) device in would suggest to me that you are getting false readings from your tester.

The chances are the voltage pen is giving false readings.

I seem to recall 30 years ago, on Tenby double sockets, for some reason, you could place the voltage pen on any of the three holes on one particular side, the pen would light - and only light on the live hole on the other side.

Odd, illogical, but that's what I got every time.

I seem to recall 30 years ago, on Tenby double sockets, for some reason, you could place the voltage pen on any of the three holes on one particular side, the pen would light - and only light on the live hole on the other side. .... Odd, illogical, but that's what I got every time.
Certainly odd - but physics is intrinsically 'logical' so, although neither you nor I know what it was, there undoubtedly was a 'logical' reason, if only one had known what it was :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back