Want to fit a toolstation alarm kit comments please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I Want to fit a wired alarm - nothing too fancy to a double garage which has power. Now Toolstation do one with battery backup - i know you get what you pay for but is it a reasonable kit - k/pad - bell box - panel - battery - 4 pir or would i be better off getting something elsewhere for similar money? They do sell seperate dual tech pir would it be worth investing in 2 of them instead of fitting normal ones that come with the kit?
The garage will be split down the middle with car one side and a wall of shelving running down middle with side door that side. Will be uprating doorlock and possible fitting gargae defender to the main doors - overkill? It is in a large new estate down a dead end street deterrent more than anything else. (page 250 of thier march cat)

All comments welcome - thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's just a deterrent buy some dummy bell boxes from Fleabay with somebodies name on it, after all with no form of communication what is actually going to happen when it goes off apart from annoying your neighbours.

And any decent burglar will know that the Toolstation alarm will just make a noise, they don't need much time to break in do damage and nick stuff, and these days they don't care if the alarm goes off, because they know nobodies coming....

Either get some dummy bells, or get a quote from a local company to install a proper system with some form of communication that will alert the appropriate people should it go off.

I would put the following
control panel / endstation out of site if possible, if not possible and its plastic construction mount high up near the ceiling, Bit of a pain for installation/maintainance but will hopefully stop it getting smashed up. If metal panel install mid hight. always better to hide panel.

Keypad near entry & exit door

2 Dualtecs either side of the partition wall one looking towards the garage door on one side & on the other side looking away from garage door, Also disable the LEDs in the Detectors, As intruders will smash anything that flashes in the dark

Heavy Duty Contact to Garage Door

Internal Alarm Speaker

Loud External Bell one with Twin Piezos - If budget allows a nice master blaster as well

Would be good if there is a communications device, Have a look at GSM voice diallers you would know when triggers

looking at various links to suppliers I have seen texecom vetitas or prestige kits available.

1. the veritas is cheaper of 2 doesnt give me option of dual tech or a dialer as far as i can see so option 2 would be better ....

2. premier gives dual tec pir and optional dialer would give text alerts but can i fit this alarm myself or would i have to buy software to set it up as well? If i couldnt set it up myself how much is a reasonable estimate for getting a company to fit one to a double garage? .ie what sort of ball park fiigure above the £263 cost of kit would i expect to be paying?

I hope alarm installers are not as expensive as gas fitters.....

Sponsored Links
You don't have to buy a kit.

Get the panel you think is the best for your needs, then again get the detectors that are best for your needs.

Mix and match to your heart's content, you are not restricted to one type of panel with a particular detector.

By the way, forget the Text Alerts, go for a Speech Dialler, much more reliable.

you say it is wired. Do you mean there is electricity in the garage? Is it attached to your house? Is it on your land? If not, how far from your home is it?

there is electricity in the garage - i just need to add an mcb to the consumer unit in there - its a double garage with the front corner about 6 ft from the rear courner of the house so the double drive runs next to the house between my house and the house next door with only the house (s) opposite with a direct view into the drive. Its a new estate about 6-7 years old

so you could run a (concealed) cable into the house, and presumably have the control panel there, and an autodialler, with just a keypad needed in the garage to disarm it on entry. And you would hear the indoors panel honking in an alarm (or chiming if anyone opened the garage door - I have mine like that so I hear the garage open even when the alarm is not set).

Or if you prefered you could have a wireless alarm, as the distance is so short, with the same layout and features, and less effort to fit.

I would prefer to keep it wired and will have a look at running back to the house but it will probably stay in the garage but definitely worth looking at, hadn't thought of doing that. If i buy, say a texecon premier panel will it need extra software buying to be able to install or will they provide it with the panel / plug and play-ish installation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back