Washing Machine in the Bathroom

It's common in Australia (due to the presence of plumbing, drains and impermeable floor) but the bathroom is usually of a more generous size, and has the laundry bins, sometimes also the ironing board and iron. I don't recall seeing it in European countries or N.A.

Sponsored Links

Yes, but Beko do not even understand the electrical requirements for UK bathrooms

This is NOT correct

"UK regulations permit the installation of a washing machine in a bathroom so long as stringent local authority regulations are adhered to. To comply with these protocols, the bathroom must be large enough to place the washing machine a minimum of 3m away from the nearest edge of the bath or shower."

I'm not sure that BEKO are in a position to advise on anything. here's what Mumsnet thinks of the brand:
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_b...ko-washing-machines-like-the-plague-in-future

and other scary stuff

Warning over EXPLODING Beko, Hotpoint and other washing ...

Given that they say "Showers, sinks, and baths exude steam, moisture, and can lead to damp; potentially damaging your washing machine’s electrics", as if kitchens are free from any such environmental factors (and glossing over the fact of WTF are they doing making laundry appliances which can be damaged by steam and moisture), and that they say "UK regulations permit the installation of a washing machine in a bathroom so long as stringent local authority regulations are adhered to", I'd like to urge as many people as possible to click the link, and when there click the button to say No to "Did we answer your query?"

here's what Mumsnet thinks of the brand:
Yes, but Mumsnet have got form when it comes to rolling over and giving in to commercial pressures - they have zero credibility for anything beyond inconsequential chat between women about babies and DH.

Sponsored Links
To be honest the concept of a washing machine seems crazy to me. Who first thought out was a good idea to put copious water, mains electricity and lots of powerful vibrations together in a small box? I struggle to see how adding humidity could make matters any worse!

I once lived in a flat that had no washing machine, and I bought one (second hand) and put it in the bathroom. It was a good arrangement for me. If that's where the space is, go for it!

The main reason I'd not put a washer in the bathroom is noise. Actually in other countries it's a very common setup and makes more sense than in the kitchen -there's water there and drainage admittedly, but it's got nothing to do with cooking! At least the bathroom is to do with getting undressed!

I've never understood why anyone would put a washing machine in the kitchen. Scullery or utility room would be traditional, but a bathroom is where most people keep their laundry basket, and hang wet things over the bath, so it seems the obvious place to put a washing machine.

A washing machine in the kitchen would be as sensible as having the dishwasher in the garage or bedroom :)

I've never understood why anyone would put a washing machine in the kitchen. Scullery or utility room would be traditional,
Are they not extensions of a kitchen?
but a bathroom is where most people keep their laundry basket, and hang wet things over the bath,
I don't. I think you are assuming most people do what you do.
so it seems the obvious place to put a washing machine.
Depends what you mean by obvious.
I suppose it is because a kitchen has water and waste pipes and is often nearer to the washing line.

A washing machine in the kitchen would be as sensible as having the dishwasher in the garage or bedroom :)
If you have no room in the kitchen and the garage is the other side of a door, then why not.

It was a lot of work to put my dishwasher in the bedroom.

Last edited:
I've never understood why anyone would put a washing machine in the kitchen.
Nor do I - guaranteed to upset cook.

Scullery or utility room would be traditional,
Doesn't matter, surely, as long as the maids know where it is?

but a bathroom is where most people keep their laundry basket, and hang wet things over the bath,
Do they? There isn't one in mine, nor have I ever seen one in any of the bathrooms in houses of friends when I visit. I don't actually know where my valet puts my dirty clothes after he picks them up from the dressing room floor, but it is not in my bathroom.

I suppose it might be in the servants' bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back