Washing Machine in the Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Currently pricing up a major refurb of a property of which I'm hopeful of getting the job.

The architects drawings already have BC approval.

One of the things the architect has suggested/drawn that the client fully supports is the washing machine being relocated into what will be the new bathroom.

I would be completely against it from a practical point of view but is there anything from an electrical regs point of view to support me talking them out of it?

Its a small bathroom and the machine would be max 1m from the edge of the bath with WHB and Toilet in between. Plan is to run the flex through the wall and connect it to an FCU in the hall. The consumer unit is being upgraded so all circuits will be RCD protected.

Its madness surely?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I presume you mean a min of 1m ???

Yes it's allowed electrically, your method of FCU in the hall is fine. You could have a flex outlet plate in the bathroom for neatness.
The FCU would actually be allowed in the bathroom >600mm from the edge of the bath - basins and toilets don't count.

is there anything from an electrical regs point of view to support me talking them out of it?
No. If it's outside the zones, then the only requirement is that there isn't a socket outlet within 3m of the bath/shower. Connecting via an FCU would be the usual option.

Plan is to run the flex through the wall and connect it to an FCU in the hall.
While allowed, that is ridiculous. Put the FCU in the room with the machine.

Washing machines in bathrooms are a common thing where the designer has shoehorned as many units as possible into a development, and has not left any space in the kitchen (which is probably a single living room with a kitchen bit in one corner).

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I presume you mean a min of 1m ???

Yes it's allowed electrically, your method of FCU in the hall is fine. You could have a flex outlet plate in the bathroom for neatness.
The FCU would actually be allowed in the bathroom >600mm from the edge of the bath - basins and toilets don't count.

Sorry, that wasn't too clear. What I meant was that the edge of the WM would be no further than 1m from the edge of the bath i.e. the max distance between the bath and the WM would be 1m.

Currently pricing up a major refurb of a property of which I'm hopeful of getting the job.
Why, given that you clearly don't want to do it?

I would be completely against it from a practical point of view
Why?

but is there anything from an electrical regs point of view to support me talking them out of it?
You are not an electrician, so it's outwith your area of competence.

But what you can easily talk them out of doing is giving you the job - all you have to do is to argue with the client and tell them that they and their architect are in the wrong.

Why, given that you clearly don't want to do it?

Why?

You are not an electrician, so it's outwith your area of competence.

But what you can easily talk them out of doing is giving you the job - all you have to do is to argue with the client and tell them that they and their architect are in the wrong.

You're right I probably best not get involved.

This PDF document seems to cover most point the problem is the IPX4 rating, since it is published by the association of manufacturers of domestic appliances it does relate to manufacturers recommendations. But although it states "Washing machines, tumble dryers, washer-dryers and other appliances rated IPX4 may be sited in Zone 2" one it's dated 2010 and two I have not seen an IP rating of IPX4 on a washing machine.

However leave a tag stating washing machine should be rated IPX4 and then not your worry, simple if not rated IPX4 you don't fit.

The main reason I'd not put a washer in the bathroom is noise. Actually in other countries it's a very common setup and makes more sense than in the kitchen -there's water there and drainage admittedly, but it's got nothing to do with cooking! At least the bathroom is to do with getting undressed!

At least the bathroom is to do with getting undressed!
Nonsense.

22764522846_3f3dd2ff6a.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back