Washing Machine Pipe Hack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just moved into a new flat and have a small kitchen. The place did not come with a place for a dishwasher so I had a plumber put in a branch on the cold water feed going to the boiler (combi in the kitchen). The standpipe is under the sink about 4 metres of pipe away through 5 fitted cupboards, in order to get the drainage going I have to drill through this and add a long extension to the drain. Right, so as I went to measure up properly, i noticed that there was a 22mm pipe running from the boiler to the drain standpipe already, through all the cupboards presumably the overflow pipe from the boiler.

I looked around online and in Wickes and couldn't really figure it out. Is there an array of fittings I can use to connect the washing machine drain hose to this 22mm overflow, the inner diameter of the hose is 20mm. Can i just get a 22mm equal T and a bit of 22mm pipe and shove the hose on or will that not fit, the hose is a bit rubbery?

I have a spare standard washing machine hose nozzel connector which having measured, I believe is a 32mm female screw connector, but I could not find any end fittings or 22mm to 32mm reducers that have 32mm male screws.

Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's the condensate drain, and you probably shouldn't interfere with it.

from reading your post it sounds like you intend rto tap into your boiler condensate ? If this is the case it wouldnt work im afraid the dishwasher should be in 1 1/2" waste pipe. Can you not go straight through the wall and run the pipe to the drain externally?

Thanks for replies.

Yep, seems like it would be the condensate pipe, is it really a bad idea to go into it? Will save me about 20 quid and a couple of hours of time to branch from it. Cant go through the wall as its a second floor flat and i dont own the walls.

Sponsored Links
OK, I will go with your advice, so should i go with a massive hose extension (5m) and connect it with a Y or run some new pvc pipe around to the standpipe? The condensate pipe is using up the second connection on the normal dishwasher/washing machine Y junction attached to the 40mm standpipe so its going to be interesting connecting stuff to the drain standpipe.

Maybe if you post a pic of what's under your sink, someone will be able to suggest the easiest way to attach it.

Don't touch the condensate pipe as strictly speaking you need to be gas qualified to do that.

Ideally you want to run a 40mm pipe from the main soil outflow to the location of the washing machine and then fit an appliance standpipe. Then fit the drain hose into that. Extending a WM/DW drain hose too far will increase the likelihood of blockages and in the pipe, backflow into the WM or smells getting back into the WM as the waste water in the pipe goes stale/stagnant.

Don't touch the condensate pipe as strictly speaking you need to be gas qualified to do that.

At what point does a condensate drain stop being a gas part and become a waste-water part?

Isn't it when it leaves the sealed boiler casing?

At what point does a condensate drain stop being a gas part and become a waste-water part?

Depends if the boiler has an integral trap. If the trap is separate then it's same as the flue after it leaves the case, still part of the combustion system.
If I were the op ID replace the current pipe with 40mm and run both the condensation and outflow into it with an air break

Thanks for advices, i have ordered a 4M hose extension that i will drill through the cupboards, there is only one small 50cm section that's going to be a total nightmare in the corner, i can remove bankpanels along the other 2m or so cupboards. I will tie the hose to the condensate waste pipe to keep it straight to avoid water pockets, and make sure the sink end is lower than the initial climb up to the condensate pipe behind the WM.

What is opinions on making a U in the hose at the WM end?

Oh i also got a simple hose nozzle brass Y splitter, all the reviews of the plastic ones were terrible.

As a DIY'er could inadvertently dislodge or otherwise interfere with the condensate pipe to a degree where where it could cause an issue with POC's without them being aware of it .... then strictly speaking I would always recommend they don't interfere with the condensate pipe at any point, hence the reason for that answer ..... always better to be safe than sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back