Washing Machine trips RCD in new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please Help!! City Council have installed a new consumer unit. Now when I use may washing machine there is a good chance it trips the RCD for my ring main. City Council say my HOOVER Logic 800 washing machine is faulty?? Is this normal and can anything be done - I can't afford to change my machine.

Sponsored Links
Needs to be checked for earth leakage, it's possible a faulty heating element could be to blame.

could also be carbon dust from motor brushes.

in short it needs to be looked at / diagnosed by a washing m/c engineer / bod

Thanks Guys (Eddie M & Breezer) - in essence it requires looking at. Just thought it queer no problems before rewiring and new consumer unit but suspect fuses have more tolerance. Thanks once again.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I used a word which I thought was acceptable it started with qu ended in r and had two e's in the middle. I meant it was curious but obviously used a word which offended - I apologise but there are none so queer as folk. :oops:

It's quite a common occurence when an old fuse box with rewireables is replaced by modern CU with RCD.
the old fuse box will only protect against short circuits or overloads in the order of whole amps.
Any electrical appliance that uses water like kettle, washing M/C dishwasher steam iron where there's a possiblilty of damp causing an earth leakage would have gone on noticed until a RCD is fitted.

I think most of us in the trade would have heard the words "It was working okay until we had a new consumer unit fitted"

It could also be that there is nothing wrong with the washing machine per se, but if it incorporates a lot of electronics it could be introducing harmonics on the earth which the RCD interprets as leakage current. It is a common occurance with a lot of electronic equipment that has not been designed to protect against this with filters etc.

However to urge caution I would suggest that the suggestions above are adhered to and you get the machine checked out to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back