Washing machine trips rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my new tennent called me to say when they plugged the washing machine into the WM plug socket it trips the rcd.

I went to investigate and the tennent informed me that they had used the washine machine at there old house for 18/24 months and it worked fine. They did say they had an old fuse board.

Everything else in the kitchen worked fine, with washing machine unplugged, and when I tried WM in a different socket it tripped Rcd again.

I then switched everything off in the whole house, re set rcd and plugged WM into a socket above work top, as soon as I turned dial to switch WM on the rcd went again.

The 2 previous tenents had no problem with there washing machines. Is it fair to say the machine has a fault not there is a problem witn the property electrics?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The tennent put doubt in my head saying the WM worked in there old house tho.
You said that their old house had an "old fuse board". It's therefore quite possible that there has been an (electrical) leak in the machine for some time, but that, in their previous house, there was no RCD to trip!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As EFLI has informed you the likely culprit is the WM heating element, but don't rule out water ingress at the appliance. I would inform your tenants to either repair or replace the appliance.

As EFLI has informed you the likely culprit is the WM heating element, but don't rule out water ingress at the appliance. I would inform your tenants to either repair or replace the appliance.
As it is their machine and not one supplied by you then the tenant can be required to prove the machine is safe to use in your property before it can be connected.

The risk of tenants installing defective / dangerous appliances that cause extensive damage to the property is one that insurance companies consider when setting premiums for property that is to be rented to tenants.

Moderator 11 - you have removed my posts, and yet they were neither abusive nor unhelpful.

Kido's post is littered with spelling mistakes, so I suggested that he installs a spelling checker. How is that abusive, or unhelpful?

It's called shockingly rude & you need to grow up mate

Options are:-

1) Get the RCD tested if it does not trip with 15 mA leakage then not your problem. However I have found where a RCD passes but changing the RCD did remove the problem.

2) Get the Washing Machine tested. A PAT tester will show if the washing machine is faulty but also likely it will trip the RCD before the PAT tester will display the reading.

Since it is likely the washing machine is at fault then to save arguments easy way is to get an electrician to plug in the RCD tester and show it works as designed.

RCD tripping can be hard to find cause the classic is a bit of damp bread in the toaster causing the trip to operate when the kettle is used. But it would seem in your case rather cut and dried fault with washing machine.

Moderator 11 - you have removed my posts, and yet they were neither abusive nor unhelpful.

Kido's post is littered with spelling mistakes, so I suggested that he installs a spelling checker. How is that abusive, or unhelpful?
Installing a spelling checker can result in auto corrections which result in the meaning being altered. Where as with spelling mistakes the reader can often work out what was the intended message.

As a dyslexic person I realise that bad grammar is also often coupled to poor spelling and if one is alerted by poor spelling then one is also aware of a likely grammar problem. Including the maths of English.

Simple question "You don't want a cup of coffee I take it?" is so often answered by "Yes" when in fact the person wanted coffee so the answer should have been "No" or to prevent confusion "Oh I would love a cup of coffee".

Personally I do use a spell checker but even then I have many times found it has made mistakes where for some unknown reason it went from UK to US.

There are now laws about disabilities and being dyslexic is a disability so clearly any moderator has to consider if what is said could be considered as breaching the law on disabilities so I would if I was a moderator not hesitate at removing any posts which could be seen as falling foul of the laws.

On another forum one poster added to all his posts
"Metre or Meter?

Spelling? have you tried using Firefox and the dictionary "add on" it shows 95% of your spelling errors."

I objected to this most strongly. And does it really matter. OK talking about the timing of music I would use metre and also length but a USA spell check would auto correct to meter.

What is far more important is RCD or MCB and switch or trip. Calorie or calorie is a huge problem where spelling and grammar checkers can cause 1000 times difference in meaning.

So I would be very wary of suggesting the use of spell checking and grammar checking software.

Dyslexic rules KO.

The tennent put doubt in my head saying the WM worked in there old house tho.
You said that their old house had an "old fuse board". It's therefore quite possible that there has been an (electrical) leak in the machine for some time, but that, in their previous house, there was no RCD to trip!

Kind Regards, John

This is exactly the point. Thought I'd echo some of John's words as before we go off on a tangent, as they say.

The tenant's old house almost certainly didn't have RCD protection.

You have.

The type of fault the machine has went unnoticed in the tenant's old house as they didn't have an RCD.

Don't waste any money or time on it, it's their machine at fault.

They will have to pay for their machine to be mended, or they will have to buy a new one.

Installing a spelling checker can result in auto corrections which result in the meaning being altered.
Only if you allow it to do auto corrections.

Personally I do use a spell checker but even then I have many times found it has made mistakes where for some unknown reason it went from UK to US.
Like any tool you do have to know how it works and how to use it, and US-centric spelling is a feature of many of them, although if it allows user-added words you can gradually teach it UK spelling.

And yes, I realise that that is going to be a problem for someone who is dyslexic, but tennent is not a correct spelling in either version of English, so it would be picked up.

There are now laws about disabilities and being dyslexic is a disability so clearly any moderator has to consider if what is said could be considered as breaching the law on disabilities so I would if I was a moderator not hesitate at removing any posts which could be seen as falling foul of the laws.
Oh come on. If you saw someone with a wonky leg, which made him keep falling over, do you really think it would be unlawful to say "maybe you should get a stick so that you can walk without falling over all the time"?

"Metre or Meter?

Spelling? have you tried using Firefox and the dictionary "add on" it shows 95% of your spelling errors."

I objected to this most strongly. And does it really matter. OK talking about the timing of music I would use metre and also length but a USA spell check would auto correct to meter.
See above about auto-correct.

But what if you had been writing "meater" or "metter" or "meetre"?

Would you genuinely think that a suggestion of a spelling checker would be abusive, unhelpful, or shockingly rude?

I'm dyslexic and I find you amazingly rude & sad m8

OK - you are dyslexic.

Why is it amazingly, shockingly, rude to suggest that as you are dyslexic you should think about using spelling checking technology?

If you knew someone who had no legs, and was dragging himself around on his stumps, would you really think you were being shockingly, amazingly rude if you were to suggest to him that he got himself a wheelchair?

I did not express any value judgements about your spelling problems. Suggesting that you avail yourself of technology to assist you in writing words with correct spelling is not being rude, let alone amazingly or shockingly so.

And if any Mod is reading this, neither is it abusive.

Mate your a idiot just deal with it.

I'd also like you to note that I have not reposted the one you decided was abusive or unhelpful, but I have asked, more than once, and quite politely, what was abusive or unhelpful about it. But you keep removing that question as well, and you have removed posts where I have replied to other people, posts which again which had nothing abusive or unhelpful in them.

How am I supposed to understand what is, or is not, abusive or unhelpful in the context of The Rules if you will never explain?

Installing a spelling checker can result in auto corrections which result in the meaning being altered.
Only if you allow it to do auto corrections.

Like any tool you do have to know how it works and how to use it, and US-centric spelling is a feature of many of them, although if it allows user-added words you can gradually teach it UK spelling.

And yes, I realise that that is going to be a problem for someone who is dyslexic, but tennent is not a correct spelling in either version of English, so it would be picked up.

Oh come on. If you saw someone with a wonky leg, which made him keep falling over, do you really think it would be unlawful to say "maybe you should get a stick so that you can walk without falling over all the time"?

"Metre or Meter?

See above about auto-correct.

But what if you had been writing "meater" or "metter" or "meetre"?

Would you genuinely think that a suggestion of a spelling checker would be abusive, unhelpful, or shockingly rude?

I'm dyslexic and I find you amazingly rude & sad m8
OK - you are dyslexic.

Why is it amazingly, shockingly, rude to suggest that as you are dyslexic you should think about using spelling checking technology?

If you knew someone who had no legs, and was dragging himself around on his stumps, would you really think you were being shockingly, amazingly rude if you were to suggest to him that he got himself a wheelchair?

I did not express any value judgements about your spelling problems. Suggesting that you avail yourself of technology to assist you in writing words with correct spelling is not being rude, let alone amazingly or shockingly so.

And if any Mod is reading this, neither is it abusive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back