Waste not want not!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im always asking whenever about on site if things are going spare and im always suprised as to whats getting chucked.

Today 4 pallets of bricks went straight in the skip!!!! If only i could of get em home :rolleyes:

Ive got some MDF skirting sorted and had a few doors.

One of my lads had a load of sliding mirror doors last month.

Then I watched the ground worker smashing well over a grands worth of timber to bits with a mini digger!!!

Anyone else got any bargains rescuing perfectly good material that are just being chucked out!!!

Sponsored Links
I have to admit to being something of a loiterer around the skips and anything that's going really, if it's there and free I'll have it and think about what to do with it after :D timber , tools, scrap, sanitary ware , guttering , sand , in fact absolutely anything that still has some intrinsic value left in it.

Sponsored Links
I have to admit to being something of a loiterer around the skips and anything that's going really, if it's there and free I'll have it, sanitary ware that still has some intrinsic left in it.
So that`s what skid marks are - intrinsic :idea:

Builders waste a ridiculous amount of new and perfectly good reusable materials.
I had a brand new Franke sink out of one skip the other week (after asking first) Better than my current 5 year old one, so it's going in.
Roofer down the road from me always has unused sheets of T&G OSB in his skips, unused from jobs.
Bonkers.

Indeed Deluks , I was reading recently in a woodworking magazine that something like a million tons of timber goes to landfill in this country every year :eek:

A quantity surveyor I know once told me that big companies building a large number of houses on a new development order sufficient extra materials for building an extra house for every 15 that get built. Most of this tends to get chucked, but it's more cost effective to skip it than have delays in construction waiting for any shortages to be delivered together with added haulage costs.

Having worked in a waste transfer station I liberated a quantity of useful items that otherwise would have been either landfilled or otherwise recycled. 18" self propelled petrol mower, came from Show Home on a development, site was complete, showhome sold and contents of showhome binned. Still have a number of lengths of 32, 40, 50 and 110mm waste/soil pipe. About 100 solvent weld 110mm fittings, all surplus from a new school. (P.F.I. scheme so we're all paying for them still!) Umpteen 110mm underground fittings and several 450mm I/C bases, risers and covers. Actually got to the point where I had to stop because I ran out of storage space.... :rolleyes:

I am surprised though so much timber is landfilled. There are a number of outlets for waste wood, clean timber can be made into chipboard, all scrap wood can be used in an waste to energy plant. Usually most companies are anxious to avoid landfill charges wherever possible so recycling as much as possible is the norm.

Any job/company over a certain size has to produce a waste strategy by law to indicate their proposed methods for dealing with waste. The Environment Agency like to prosecute those who dont! :eek:

the government needs to manage the country properly.... restaurants have 3 or 4 shifts.... soups kitchens.. 1 or 2? restaurants throw out food if it don't look right on a plate !!!! have 5 or 6 homeless on the end of the food shute? that'd feed loads for free !

Sponsored Links
Back