Throw away society

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just don't get it with some people, take for a small example, Auger bits, whenever I go on site to do a job I will always find Auger bits on the floor, I always ask the person "normally a sparky" if he's dropped the said bit, to which the reply is always the same "Na Mate its blunt, doesn't cut anymore, ive bought a new one"! I do try and educate these people by informing them that they can be sharpened and sharpened very easily, but they just care.

Its the same with my boss, Auger bits, drill bits, HSS bits all manner of small tools that can be re-sharpened he just chucks them in the bin!

Last year, my boss threw away his 18 month old DeWalt drill because the switch packed up "Chucked it in the skip", so I took it out of the skip and to the repairers, all it needed was a new switch £60 inc vat and labour. So I got it repaired and mentioned it to my boss some weeks later.
Of course by this time he had bought a new £250 drill, anyway, after mentioning it, he wanted it back, reluctantly I said he could have it back if he paid the repair bill of £80, which eventually he did.

Last week, his grinder stopped working only had it six months "Makita" about £80 new, we changed the fuse in the plug but to no avail, so I suggested he take it back to where he got it and have it repaired under warranty. Got to work today and found it in the skip, he'd only been out and bought another one. So I take it out of the skip chuck it in my van, got home tonight, took it down the workshop, had a quick look for the obvious issues and low behold the live wire had snapped inside its sleeve near the plug, took about five minutes to get it working again. Cheers I thought to myself, I'm not going to tell you about this one cos he will only want it back, and he aint having it.

It just irritates me that people throw things away willy nilly when with a bit of tlc and a very short amount of time they can be brought back to a perfect working order.

Just waiting for someone to throw away an Aston Martin DB9. :D

Sponsored Links
people dont have either the means or the ability to shapen bits.

when i was an apprentice i did boxes of them :eek:

Yeh, sorry, forgot to mention, I have all the disposed of bits in my workshop all re-sharpened and ready to go, saves me a small fortune :D

He's not a tramp, but for most of his adult life my father has furnished his houses/ gardens with kit rescued from skips/ building sites.

Solid oak furniture, filing cabinets, dining tables, light fittings, appliances (all checked prior to use) etc.

In the 70's he used to take me to slum clearances in places like Hulme & Moss Side where rows of terraces were being torn down. We would limp home in his Maxi with several tons of stone/ slate/ fireplaces etc..., testing Alex Moulton's suspension to beyond the limit!!

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised especially in this economic climate that there arn't repair and recycle shops abound in every town and city where you take your broken tools equipment etc get paid for them if economically repairable and they then repair and resell them.

Maybe a business opportunity for someone?

I'm all for recycling good stuff that just needs a little TLC to bring it back to life. I used to visit the works skips every lunchtime to see what I could find as we were always throwing something too good to throw away - away.
I put several bits on Freecycle to get them reused.

It realy irritates how some just throw stuff away rather than get it fixed.

Why is it that when I put files into my recycle bin on the PC, they are deleted and not actually recycled into other files? :evil:

Should I complain?

What irritates me is that charity shops aren't allowed to take perfectly functioning electrical items.

Why is it that when I put files into my recycle bin on the PC, they are deleted and not actually recycled into other files? :evil:

Should I complain?
The free space they occupied is recycled ;) As for the data itself well that disappears into the ether, suppose thats why they call it the ethernet?

disappears into the ether, suppose thats why they call it the ethernet?

Wouldn't it be funny if it was called the nitrous oxide net instead?

But regarding the recycle bin, I just thought it would be useful if all the letters and spreadsheets which I have sent there could actually be recycled into other documents instead of being deleted .... that would save me having to type them all over again

people dont have either the means or the ability to shapen bits.

when i was an apprentice i did boxes of them :eek:

you don,t get taught that stuff nowadays, it's old school!

but as the saying goes ""old is gold""

i'd love to be able to sharpen bits properly and re-cycle.

a teacher when i was at college used to talk about stuff like that but ,
did we listen? :cry:
if someone could put stuff like that on the faqs it would be great.

I have had this out with the apprentices in work.
Their excuse is its cheaper and quicker, besides, they don't know how to do it, even though I have shown them.
I explain that it may be quicker for them but to produce a drill bit requires a mining team to excavate the iron ore, a foundry to extract it and turn it into steel, another process to turn it into rods and then machine it, someone else to package it and supply it to the wholesalers who then sell it on to the retailers who then have to sell it to the customer who uses it who then breaks/blunts it and throws it away then someone has to dispose of it in a landfill site or whatever. This all takes energy of one form or another which uses valuable resources thereby causing polllution and making an elephant in Africa/India keel over and die because mankind is polluting the atmosphere and taking the land that they live on to mine for more raw materials.
By the time I've finished 'moaning' at them they are so pi**ed off that they daren't throw something away without thinking about it first and if they do I just say, "There's another poor elephant gone t*ts up!"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back