Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just be careful or this might happen!

20052010.jpg

20052010002.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The concentric supply cable by the look of it and looking at the picture where the blast seems to have come from the duct.

Reminds me of somebody who lives a few yards from here who asked if I could "have a quick look" at a problem a few years ago.

He'd been fitting a new roof, with new joists and rafters throughout. He'd managed to fit all the new joists above all the cables which had been left hanging loose when the old ones were removed, so then he'd gone along and notched the underside of each joist for the cables, one of which included the concentric supply cable. Despite putting a mark on the new boards before screwing them up to show (supposedly) where the notches were, somehow he'd still managed to put one screw straight into a cable. It was the supply cable, of course - Couldn't have got the screw closer to dead center on the cable if he'd been trying.

I think it ended up costing him about £400 for EDF to fix.

The hole was being drilled as the house was having sky installed. The cable is a bit of 35mm concentric fed from overheads and no, the substation fuses didn't blow there was just a bang!

In the 80's and early 90's it was common for the DNO duct to rise up in the cavity to the meter box. These days most DNO's force you to use a hockey stick on the surface of the wall, although most meter boxes still have the entries for either/or.

Where was he drilling then? Inside to out I guess - Typical sky install! Rather than blow the front off the brick though, he nearly blew himself up in stead!

They always drill inside to out and hardly ever check the other side - I have seen them go through a soil pipe before - they just walk away!

What did it cost him to fix the structural problems he created by notching the underside of joists?
No idea, but he seemed to be pretty nonchalant about the whole project, including cutting a cable which was "in the way" at one point - A big green/yellow one running to a rod outside......

Oh come on be fair!

His Electrics would still work therefore the green/yellow was not needed after all was it?

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back