Watchdog tonight

Sponsored Links
An FCU typically feeds something else which can be functionally tested before and after switch-off. OK you are still not 100% at this point like you are with a socket but it's better than nothing.

The experts all play it up to camera. The car expert last week criticised an engine replacement because there was black oil on the dipstick and it supposedly demonstrated the oil hadn't been changed. I personally can't get a mile up the road without the oil going black in my car with the same engine, and the expert should know this is typical of most diesels.

Sponsored Links
I understood the implication was the chap was going to disconnect wiring without isolating.

Maybe I misunderstood.

While Watchdog has some value in that it informs the public of some unethical activity by large companies it is still "entertainment for the masses" and thus has to dramatic to attract and hold the audience.

The basic and un-dramatized facts about that cowboy electrician would bore the pants of most viewers.

How do you know the power is off without testing the terminals of the FCU?
You don't.

But you do make the best job you can of turning it off before you remove it.

I didn't see the show, but isn't the criticism that he didn't turn anything off before removing it?

I didn't see the show, but isn't the criticism that he didn't turn anything off before removing it?
Yes - FCU on kitchen wall, no visible wiring, person unscrews it and pulls away from wall with power still connected. That is all.

The commentary made it sound as if doing such a thing would result in instant death to anyone in the room. However that is because it isn't the sort of thing they should be recommending their viewers to be doing as live parts would be exposed, and making a huge deal over it is just the kind of thing that programme does.

Yes the programme over hypes everything.

I would remove an FCU like that in my own home where I have confidence in the installation. However in an unknown home, you don't know that the live wire could be loose and fall out and touch the earth bar.

You don't really want a loose live wire and then have to start hunting around to work out where to isolate it.

The programme was trying to make out he was going to work live. Where as he was probably just having a look.

I didn't like it when he got his fingers inside the cutout though.

There was just no need not to turn the electricity off was there before opening the FCU. At very the very least she should have isolated that circuit and would have still had light.

He didn't seem the type to have a look, he seemed the type to just dig straight in to hell with the consequences. At least he used earth sleeving when he put the socket in, although that was probably already there.

What I don't get is he must have known he left that socket in a very bad state, so why did he come back to do the consumer unit, you think he would have had the sense to realise it was a trap :D.

What is perhaps the most shocking is that he was hired by an estate agent

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/blessed-electrical-london

It is rather worrying to know that estate agents are employing sparkies without checking their qualifications and they are a member of a scheme etc.

To be fair though who ever wrote that review has to expect problems when they employ a sparkie to fix a tumble dryer and remove a stud wall :D Oh and fix a boiler.

As has been said, you can't catagorically test for dead until you get into the unit, however, surely common sense would say you do what you can to mitigate the situation, by de-energising as best as you can guess / prove beforehand surely.

I understood the implication was the chap was going to disconnect wiring without isolating.

Maybe I misunderstood.

What and change the 1g metal box to 2g with the power on?
I would agree with RF, I have met dozens of 'sparks' who have not got a clue about regs or how to drill tiles or cut lath and plaster and don't expect the box to be level !
And one who said 'if there's an RCD there's no need to test and the test kit is extorsionate :mrgreen:

Bloody scary,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back