WATER CYLINDER TIMECLOCK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please advise me on how to wire up my water cylinder?

i have recently bought a new water cylinder with two 3kw elements, wired in 2.5mm butyl flex back to a 32amp double pole switch/isolator which is wired in 2.5mm T&E back to a 32amp rcd breaker at the board.
does this sound ok?
and how would i incorporate a danfoss timeclock into this?
e.g. before the isolator or after or would i need two timeclocks?

any advice would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is pushing it having it all fed from a piece of 2.5mm T&E to the point that it could be a fire risk. IMO 2.5mm radials shouldn't be fed from a 32A breaker.
The cylinders I am thinking of with 2 elements were designed with E7 in mind so you can have one on the E7 tarrif and the other as a top up.
The elements are both fed from their own circuit, one circuit on the normal board and the other on the E7 board.

its an OSO Super S hot water cylinder
what would you advise i do?
all i have done is crimped two butyl flex into the two elements and wired back to the 32amp DP SW.
I dont have E7 or offpeak heating.

thanks for your quick reply.

Feed each of the elements from their own circuit to the consumer units and have two time switches, you already have one circuit so only means one new circuit in 2.5mm T&E.
Also have two isolators local to the elements.
Each circuit should be on a 16A MCB.

It would be possible to use a contactor instead of having two time switches but is more complicated and will probably end up being more expensive.

Sponsored Links
Would there be any problems with doing this...

Wiring both of the elements back to two 20amp double pole switches and just have one element (the bottom one) wired through a timeclock
both going back to two 16amp MCB'S

Therefore the top element will just be controlled via a 20 amp dp sw and only used as a boost or if the main one fails.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

i wouldnt of thought having two circuits on seperate MCBS going to seperate elements would be dangerous but i may be worng?

what makes it dangerous? i could do without my house burning down! :D

I still don't like the idea of a piece of 2.5mm with a pair of 3kw elements on a 32A MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back