Water damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a major leak in the loft of an empty relatives house.
Water came through light fittings, wall switches and cooker point.
After its all dried out what damaged would it cause to the electrics.
The cooker point was shorting out so i'll replace that, what else has to be done?
Thanks for all advice.

Sponsored Links
Personally if after testing the cables are OK, then I'd replace any switch, socket or fitting that had been in contact with the water,,,,

But surely this should be an insurance claim!

Most insurance companies will pay for the damage caused by a leak, but not to fix the leak itself

Yeah hopefully it will be covered but I'm just getting ready in case they find a loop hole.
Testing the wiring is this something I can do?

If you have an insulation tester and know how to use it then yes you could,,,

But so long as it's insured, then leave it switched off until they send someone to sort it!

Sponsored Links
I had water damage once (storm damage to a roof, so they paid for that too) which meant a room needed redecorating - as well as paper and paint they were happy to pay me for my time to DIY...

Hourly rate too - it's amazing how long it can take to decorate a room...

You really need help. Your attitude stinks, and I'm getting sick of YOU ruining this forum.

It's not specifically that one. It is your general attitude and aggressive posting style in the majority of your posts. I'm sorry, but I've had enough.

You know your stuff. You are probably our most knowledgable member with regards to the building regs, your posts were full of helpful information, and really helped many many people who visited the site.

We have had many debates over the years which have been perfectly civilised and i have learned alot from them. I used to hold you in high regard, but my respect for you is diminishing with every unhelpful, aggressive, rude or confrontational post you make.

I don't know what has changed, but certainly in the last few months something has, and I really don't like it.

Calm down, calm down...

Why not become friends; then you can PM each other with your marital problems.

"Over-reactions-'r'-us" or what?

This discussion belongs in General or something, not here.

:)

It's not specifically that one. It is your general attitude and aggressive posting style in the majority of your posts. I'm sorry, but I've had enough.

You know your stuff. You are probably our most knowledgable member with regards to the building regs, your posts were full of helpful information, and really helped many many people who visited the site.

We have had many debates over the years which have been perfectly civilised and i have learned alot from them. I used to hold you in high regard, but my respect for you is diminishing with every unhelpful, aggressive, rude or confrontational post you make.

I don't know what has changed, but certainly in the last few months something has, and I really don't like it.

I agree with you, BAS seems to have become a bit of a (and I am not the first to say this) a bully boy.

my respect for you is diminishing with every unhelpful, aggressive, rude or confrontational post you make.
So securespark calls me a fraudster, i.e. accuses me of being a criminal, and when I ask him if he has any evidence of that, and if there might not be another explanation of what I'd said before, I'm the one whose attitude stinks, I'm the one ruining the forum, I'm the one being unhelpful, aggressive, rude, confrontational etc?

I see.

It seems to me that you're applying for membership of the club who think I should either sit meekly by and let people accuse me of anything they like, or accept being attacked if instead of doing that I have the temerity to ask them for evidence, or to ask them to be rational etc.

No doubt you'll take this as more evidence of my confrontational aggressiveness.

I agree with you, BAS seems to have become a bit of a (and I am not the first to say this) a bully boy.
securespark called me a fraudster, i.e. accused me of being a criminal. I asked him if he had any evidence of that, and if there might not be another explanation of what I'd said before.

Will you please explain in what way that was bullying him?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back