Water / Gas Pipes - Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m in the middle of (slowly) re-fitting my kitchen and every now & then I’m finding small things that need rectifying. When I ripped out my sink cupboards where the incoming water pipe is (stop cock) I noticed no earth bonding at all. The whole house is copper piped (water/central heating) and as a result of seeing this I’ve wandered all over and cannot see any earth bonding at all.

My incoming gas supply has an earth connected that disappears into the main fuse box somewhere (just above it|) so my question is, can I earth my water supply next to the stop cock and simply attach it to the earth on the gas supply? The water supply is about six foot away thru a small wall.

Also would it be okay or necessary to earth pairs of copper pipes that run parallel to each other, for example in my hot water tank room there loads of pipes running up & down next to each other and in the garage etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You are not earthing you are are bonding.
Although frowned upon by some of the institutions (as the wire is not unbroken), I see no harm in looping from the gas to the water in the correct size wire. Make sure the connections are secure.
Bath and shower rooms require supplementary equipotential bonding (connecting all pipework entering from outside the room together and to any electric circuit cpcs)
This bonding can be omitted if all of the circuits in the room are 30mA RCD protected and meet disconnection times. Your extraneous services to the property (water/gas etc) must also be bonded.

can I earth my water supply next to the stop cock and simply attach it to the earth on the gas supply? The water supply is about six foot away thru a small wall.
As said, yes.

Also would it be okay or necessary to earth pairs of copper pipes that run parallel to each other, for example in my hot water tank room there loads of pipes running up & down next to each other and in the garage etc.
Not necessary.

Thanks both.

Could someone point me in the right direction where the best place to buy some of the 'clips' (don't know correct terminology to search) and a couple of metres of earth cable.

Sponsored Links
They are BS951 earth clamps.

Well, an electrical suppliers to state the obvious.
They would probably sell a couple of metres of 10mm² g/y.

The likes of B&Q will have the cable but I don't know about the clamps - may do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back