water stain due to leak cover up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have had a water leak now solved, but the water stains its going to leave are going to need fixing. My father in law used a product before called Stain Stop but it went on quite thick and tbh it looked bad when he put emulsion over it. I have seen a product called Zinsser BIN
can I roller this on lightly ? will it need 1 coat or 2
How long to dry ? , it was the waste from the shower that had come off so water from a shower went down the hole between the floorboards and the plasterboards
tbh I busy until next week will it be dry by then ?

thanks

IMG_2397.jpeg IMG_2398.jpeg
IMG_2398.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Zinsser bin is the product to use. A few coats of that, a few hours drying time between coats is needed, and then a few coats of emulsion will sort it

What about a coat or two of oil based paint - Gloss? Then emulsion.

Not a good idea to apply oil-based gloss then emulsion on top. Too shiny.

Oil-based undercoat may do, sometimes you can see patches grinning through the emulsion when completed, but this often disappears in a week or two.

Sponsored Links
I too would recommend BIN or Blockaide by Smith and Rodgers. Both are pigmented shellac based paints.

I would allow at least 30 minutes between each coat of BIN, a total of two coats, And then and hour or two before applying two coats of emulsion.

You can either use a throw away brush with the BIN or use a decent brush and clean it with household ammonia.

Thanks, I have bought a tin of Zinsser BIN and will use that next week when its fully dry. Will let you know how it turns out.

To assist drying, suggest if you have one or can "borrow" one get a fan to blow air over the damp areas, no need for heat just air movement.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back